IGNORED

spark plug wires & caps-replacement

My original caps did not fail internally. But had oxidized from age. And due to the high cost of the OEM caps. I replaced them with NGK caps and new copper core wires. NOW-After having ALL my NGK replacement caps fail internally with little mielage on them. Which I posted on another thread. FYI- This will happen to them all. They are junk.

NOW, I am wondering if anyone has found 7mm graphite or other wires with RUBBER caps like older cars use...that fit properly on our small (in automobile terms) spark plugs??? I know we are to have some resistance in the wires or caps....thus graphite type is my 1st thought.

Edited by jasonm.

Heres a good read for ya

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html

I suspect, due to the short length of wires we use, you will be unable to get close to the required (5Kohm) secondary resistance with your proposed carbon wire.

Did you find out WHAT failed in the NGK plug caps?

I replaced all 4 of my caps with NGK, but preventivly, removed the resistors and coated all metal parts with dielectric grease and reassembled. The grease squezes around all the actual metal contact points allowing contact, but helping prevent any corrosion-ozidation-ionization problems. Have not taken them back apart to inspect, but has been running great for over a year now.

Could also consider resistor spark plugs with steel/copper core wires.

Heres a good read for ya

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html

I suspect, due to the short length of wires we use, you will be unable to get close to the required (5Kohm) secondary resistance with your proposed carbon wire.

Did you find out WHAT failed in the NGK plug caps?

I replaced all 4 of my caps with NGK, but preventivly, removed the resistors and coated all metal parts with dielectric grease and reassembled. The grease squezes around all the actual metal contact points allowing contact, but helping prevent any corrosion-ozidation-ionization problems. Have not taken them back apart to inspect, but has been running great for over a year now.

Could also consider resistor spark plugs with steel/copper core wires.

NGK caps are sealed. How the heck did you replace the resistors on NGKS??? You can remove the resistors on the OEM caps. Replace w/5/32" brass rod = zero resistance.

As to what failed.>>>I found this when I when cracked them open. Internally they are made with dissimilar metals and brass had turned BLACK. Actually had a coating that needed to be scraped from where the spring meets the wire screw stud ...this was acting like an insulation. ALSO an FYI, dielectric grease is an INSULATOR. After 30 years in electronis I can say... It does NOT help contact. Many people do not look up "dielectric" in the dictionary. And thus have issues. Don't go too crazy with it on metal things that need contact. I only use it on the OUTSIDE of the plug wires to prevent water getting in. FYI- my caps took a year & 3k miles to fail... NOW I have my OEM caps on w/Iridium Denso plugs part IX24B. But want to go to a rubber boot design. I agree it will be tough to get anywhere near the OEM 10k resistance with wires. But 5k...if possible I would do. I think the tougher thing will be to find rubber boots that fit properly. Maybe there is a car that used similar small spark plugs...long ago? That link is good. Stating to stay away from Automotive type wires. Something to think about.

Edited by jasonm.