IGNORED

Moving the inner faring

My searching ability must really be lacking because I usually have a hard time finding past threads, etc on here when I try to search for a specific topic.

Anyway, is there a write up or instructions on removing the inner faring? I have split mine many times, but I need to be able to move the inner faring forward a couple of inches to install new handlebar risers. I've got one that the threads are almost stripped out and I want to replace that sucker ASAP. As always, I really appreciate any help I can get.

What kind of risers?

I installed the 1-1/2" Barons without having to move the fairing. The trick is having a second set of hands, to pull the handlebars back while I slid the risers in from the side. There was not enough slack in the cables to allow me to put the risers in place and lift the handlebars up enough to put them on the risers.

But to answer your original question, remove the headlight frame and then there are, I believe, two stud/nut mounting points on the top of the inner frame (the thingy the headlight is mountd to.) and two bolts at the bottom of the inner frame. If you have passing lights, you have probably already removed these.

Edited by wes0778
spelling

Before you remove your headlight assembly look behind it on the left side (facing the bike from the front). The headlight adjustment rod is there which is held together with a small spring clip. This clip needs to be removed to separate the adjustment rod from the back of the headlight assembly. I long, angled needle nose plier works well with this. There are 2 10mm nuts lurking under the framework that need to be removed. If you face the front of the bike, look directly behind where the headlight assembly was and there should be 1 nut on each side. once these are removed you should be able to gently slide the fairing forward enough to place a wood wedge to give you the proper space to work in there. You may want to loosen up the 4 pinch bolts and remove the top nut to remove the top tree and remove the risers on a work bench. Just use a 1" pvc pipe as a mock handlebar to re-align the risers properly before tightening them down.