IGNORED

Carb sync help!

ken

Well I'm in the process of checking the sync of my carbs. I have vacume dial type gauges.

1) First I got her warmed up good to the point the fans kicks on

2) next I removed the rubbers tips from the intake.

3) hooked up the hoses from the gauges to the intakes.

Here's where I'm lost. The needle on the gauges will not settle they flop back and forth like a hummimg bird in flight. What should I do of look for!!

Look to see if there are restrictors in the hoses. Without restrictors in the hoses the gauges will not get a smooth reading.

Well I'm in the process of checking the sync of my carbs. I have vacume dial type gauges.

1) First I got her warmed up good to the point the fans kicks on

2) next I removed the rubbers tips from the intake.

3) hooked up the hoses from the gauges to the intakes.

Here's where I'm lost. The needle on the gauges will not settle they flop back and forth like a hummimg bird in flight. What should I do of look for!!

Hi Ken. You will most likely need some type of orifice (Think along the lines of a carburetor jet) in the hoses leading to the dials. This will restrict the flow of air and ease the pulsing of the needles. What you want is to have all the needles indicating the same level (I'm assuming you have a 4 gauge set..if not, things will get a bit more difficult). I used to use an old (20 years actually) mercury tube type but will be ordering a Carbtune set shortly. That avoids the pulsing problem and, from what I've heard and read, it is more accurate. The price is under $100 USD and it will pay for itself after only a couple of uses - sooner if the dealers in your area charge what ours does around here!

Oops...Art was quicker on the submit...so now you have a consensus.

Edited by darthandy
Moved too slow

That was it Art!!! I had thes little "T" type connectors and did not no what they were for. Well now I know there are "restrictors" Thanks a million ART:dancefool:.

Oh by the way all four were way out of sync. Getting ready to go for a ride with them sycn'ed. I hope the popping is gone.

Look to see if there are restrictors in the hoses. Without restrictors in the hoses the gauges will not get a smooth reading.

Your gauges should have come with four small valves. They go in line on each gauge. You need to adjust them so the needles only bounces a little. Make sure they still have some movement. Then you use the highest point in the bounce to synchronize.

...and they go on the ends of the hose closest to the carbs.

That was it Art!!! I had thes little "T" type connectors and did not no what they were for. Well now I know there are "restrictors" Thanks a million ART:dancefool:.

Oh by the way all four were way out of sync. Getting ready to go for a ride with them sycn'ed. I hope the popping is gone.

Glad that took care of your problem.....synchronize in good health. :)