IGNORED

Cheap Android tablet (Nook Color)

Guest tx2sturgis

A kid is given a computer, and told things not to do, like leave it running on his bed, so it overheats and melts the motherboard. But he does it anyways, and it dies a premature death.

Dave

Why dont they design them so that cant happen? A shutdown warning and then a forced shutdown seems like a simple thing to do.

Oh well...the iPad doesnt get warm at all when in operation. SCORE!

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
Tell me, (and I am asking out of ignorance, not out of snottiness) what is Apple's response to someone who jailbreaks their iPad or iPhone? If they find out (like when you attempt to sync or use iTunes) do they do something that will disable the jailbreak? I do seem to recall, in the early days of the iPhone at least, that people who "rooted" their phone ended up with an expensive paperweight after logging in to the iTunes store. Does this still happen? Does Apple care how you use your device?

This is sometimes refered to as the 'walled garden' and yes, sometimes Apple DOES care how its devices are used, because if used in a hacked manner, they can suffer from viruses, security issues, and hardware failure, all of which will reflect badly on the company...even tho its not actually their fault. They do not like you to hack their devices, and this was even dealt with in a landmark court case. However, to my knowledge, Apple's only response now to this is that it will void your warranty. Duh. And since I have not hacked my iPhone or iPad, I cant say for sure what will happen if a hacked device is reconnected to itunes. My understanding is that itunes will accept it for synching, but wont UPDATE it. You have to reflash it back to normal to then do an OS upgrade. But, YMMV.

And since there are numerous synching programs out there that WILL work just fine with a hacked iOS device, why would someone who jailbreaks their iPhone, then go back to using itunes, KNOWING it wont want to be connected to a rooted iphone? And then BLAME Apple for the failure? Pardon me?

If your going to download the jailbreak, then reflash the iphone, then hack around on it changing the guts of it, then why in the heck should you be so inclined to not use a third party media manager that WILL work with it?

Those are the types of things that make me angry with a company. When I buy a product (not a service, an actual product) I should have the right to change it without the company removing my right to use it in the way I see fit.

Like taking the guard off a lawnmower and then getting hurt, and blaming the manufacturer for a defect. Not saying YOU would do that, but people do these things. Manufacturers like Apple know how lawyers can bring down a company. Your other choice is to not buy the product at all. And choice is a good thing.

Let's not get heated about this....not my intention at all. I'd hate to have to see Don add iPad vs Android as one of the subjects that is off limits on this forum! :doh: I think it is just inevitable that some people will be fans of one brand, others will prefer something different.

You like Harleys and Ventures. I like Ventures and Goldwings.....not so much HD's! But, we can still get along, right?

I wasnt getting heated. I do make my point in the same manner as you did, by making a strong statement. Declaring that a product has this fault and that problem, as if those statements are FACT...when really they are uninformed opinion, in my estimation, and needs a clarification or rebuttal.

I have not said anything negative about Android or any other tablet system. I have simply stated what I like about the iPad. I think the other tablet computers out there probably range from fair to excellent, and all have pros and cons. But remeber, while Apple didnt invent the tablet computer, they DID perfect it...Well, enough so that whatever tablet you use today is a direct result of what the iPad has done for the tablet market.

Edited by tx2sturgis

If anyone is interested in a cheap tablet, I've been watching the tablet market and wishing for something bigger than my Iphone an cheaper than an Ipad. I may have found it in the form of a Barnes and Noble "Nook Color". It is a$ 249 Android bases e-reader. It has limited web function outbox the box. However, it can be rooted, a term i hadn't heard of before yesterday. The rooting process cracks the operating system to enable the full feature set of an Android tablet. I'm writing this post on it now. It is the same size as the Samsung Galaxie Tab with a 7 inch screen. It lacks the gps and camera and only has a wifi connection. You can download apps from the android market. I am still learning the android system but i think it will do what need/want. If your interested you can check unit out at http://www.bn.com and for rooting info just google "nook rooting"

Dennis

Well, Dennis.......look what you went and got started!! :buttkick:

Get us all riled up and then run off to work and hide. :rasberry::rasberry:

We seriously need some riding weather!!!

I peek in at the android tablets available from month to month. I intend to use it for voice over IP in addition to it serving as a web browser and maybe a sort of GPS. So am waiting for android 2.3 OS which will be a new android modified for tablets as opposed to one designed for cell phones. It looks like thats at least 6 months out, maybe a year. The processors in the tablets get more and more powerful every couple of months.

Well, Dennis.......look what you went and got started!! :buttkick:

Get us all riled up and then run off to work and hide. :rasberry::rasberry:

We seriously need some riding weather!!!

Blame it on me! Really, I like Apple products. My wife and I both have Iphones. If the Ipad were the product I wanted I would have bought it. The cost isn't that big of a hurdle. I've pissed away more money on lesser toys. Like others said, I bought a Zumo 550 with XM because that's what I wanted, not because it was cheap. I didn't want or need a tablet capable of being a laptop replacement. I've already got a laptop and 3 desktops to manage. I merely wanted a device I could slip into a jacket pocket and I could hold in one hand comfortably on which I could read email and web surf. Being able to install an app or two is a bonus. Prior to picking the Nook up a couple of days ago I hadn't realized that it had web browser built in right out of the box. To me it's a web browser that happens to be an e-reader.

I just wanted to point out to those that didn't know, there is a way to get a reasonably priced Android based tablet. I'm not trying to sell anyone a lifestyle change.

Now, should I start a discussion on Bluray players/media servers?

Dennis

Hey Rick, I have seen laptops last several years also, but my comment was in context. A college kid is given a laptop. Duh. 15 months seems like a lot when given to the average college kid. Stuff happens. They get dropped, ravaged by viruses on college wifi networks, stolen, banged around in backpacks, drinks spilled in them at lunch, left in cars on hot days...etc....

Understood and agreed. I am a 'college kid' though, and I still don't understand not taking care of your stuff. I suppose one of the differences, as pointed out, is the 'given to' instead of earned/purchased by one's own means. But that is a different deabate/discussion for a different time.

The key is the last statement. YOU spend money, so you care. A kid is given a computer, and told things not to do, like leave it running on his bed, so it overheats and melts the motherboard. But he does it anyways, and it dies a premature death.

Why dont they design them so that cant happen? A shutdown warning and then a forced shutdown seems like a simple thing to do.

Oh well...the iPad doesnt get warm at all when in operation. SCORE!

If I am not mistaken, almost all of the computers I have dealt with over the years and even quite a few electronic devices are all equipped with these types of safeguards. BUT, apparently something went wrong in this case.

Definite score for your iPad not getting warm in operation. With the way I have to push the computers I use for my research, I do not think I could actually find one that did not get warm. lol.

ANYWAYS, Back on topic.... :thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

Definite score for your iPad not getting warm in operation. With the way I have to push the computers I use for my research, I do not think I could actually find one that did not get warm. lol.

ANYWAYS, Back on topic.... :thumbsup2:

Particle Physics? Quantum Mechanics? Hadron Collider Telemetry? String Theory? Space-Time Continuum? Gravity Lenses? Supersymetry?

Yeah. Theres an app for that.

That looks good. honeycomb is the code word for android 2.3.

Probably will be the hottest toy for sale next Christmas....

No, Honeycomb is Android 3.0, Gingerbread is 2.3. This confusing came about several months ago when Google was talking about 2 new releases at the same time but had only released the word Honeycomb at that time.

No, Honeycomb is Android 3.0, Gingerbread is 2.3. This confusing came about several months ago when Google was talking about 2 new releases at the same time but had only released the word Honeycomb at that time.

it looks like some apps are pretty far along. whats the timeline for 3