IGNORED

Another headset noise question

There's been some discussion lately about headset noise, but allow me to tell my particular flavor of it and see if y'all can help. I just installed headsets and used them for the first time. Generally I am please, as the sound quality thru the system and the J&M headsets is very good, but there's some engine noise that I wish wasn't there. I've not noticed the same noise in the speakers. Here are some characteristics of my noise:

- clicky-staticy, not whine. Does this indicate ignition, as opposed to alternator/power?

- related to engine RPM.

- NOT related to radio or intercom volume setting - if either is on and engine running, the noise is there. Does this mean the interference is happening downstream of the amp?

- related to front-and-rear individual volume. attenuators...the ones on the handlebars and near the passenger plug-in. Turning these down from MAX definitely cuts the noise down.

- same in front or rear jack (assuming the above mentioned attenuators are set the same). Interference happening somewhere between power amp and the front/rear split? Any likely places? Where is that split?

My ignition is stock. Wires appear original; I haven't tested their resistance but I have checked the condition of the resistors in the caps which appear normal. Plugs are resistor type.

I have another comment on the individual attenuators. They don't just cut volume, they also alter the sound quality negatively when turned down. The best way I can describe it is that the stereo effect seems to gradually go away as you approach the MIN setting. So, turning the attenuators down and the amp volume up minimizes the engine noise, but also reduces sound quality Anybody experienced this?

Thanks,

Jeremy

• 4 months later...

It cloud be igintion noise. I found ignition noise in mine (1984 VR). It was in the left side where the passenger intercom wireing ran too close to the left rear cyl spark plug wire. It might be worth checking. I hope this helps.

Scottyhttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/080402gudl_prv.gif