IGNORED

Illusive electrical problem-99 Royal Star Venture

Guest Moose-man

Guest Moose-man

I go by Moose-man. I have had my '99 since early 2001 and love it! I need advice from any Venture "wrench type" about a specific problem that I can't seem to solve. For 3 weeks now my nearly new battery runs down when I'm ridin' to about 3-4 volts and the bike quits. The stator, regulator and battery connections are all good. No idea where to go from here.:confused24:

Hi

I Also Have A 99 I Hand The Samething Almost I Had The Dealer Replace The Rectifer With A Heavy Duty One And Hard Wire It To The Harness Insted Of Plug In And My Problem Went Away Don't Know If That Will Help You Becouse I Kept Burning Up The Rectifer Put To In In 3 Weeks

Kevin Wisor

1999 Rsv

Jax Fl

I also have a 99, and had the same problem when I first bought it. One question that I have: how do you know that the regulator is a good one?? Yamaha says that there is no method of testing this component except for replacing with a known good one.

The way I fixed mine was to unhook the wiring harness at the regulator, then clean the contacts in both the harness and the regulator. Next I used a pair of needle nosed pliers to "tighten up" the connectors in the harness (the female ends) so that they would get a good connection. Then I loaded the plug on the harness with dielectric grease and plugged it back together. Problem solved.

I would suggest also that you follow the instructions in the service manual for testing the stator (if you haven't already done so). It is quick and easy (does require a multimeter though) and will give you proof positive on that component. When you finish the test, do the same thing to the stator connectors that I recommended above for the regulator connectors.

Let us know if this helps.

Guest Moose-man

Thanks much for the shout back. Dealer did some in house testing which I didn't understand but claimed it was still good. I will definately check the connectors. I have a feeling the male clip-in harness has come loose again as I found it loose the first time that I took it off. I had actually ordered a new rectifier but my local shop never did get it in. California supply house takes forever to get parts from. I'll let you know the results of the testing etc. Moose-man in Illinois:cool10: