IGNORED

Routing information please

friesman

I leaving for VentureWest IV next Sat morning (the 9th of Aug) from Regina Sk. (about an 90min drive directly north of the Montana/NorthDakota border) and am probably going to be on highways I-15 to I-86 to I-80(basically thu Montana to idaho, to nevada to california) down to Sacramento eventuallly getting to SLO. Has anyone travelled those recently that knows of anything I should be aware (or beware) of.

I would like to avoid construction if at all possible but its summertime and its just one of those things thats going to happen.

I am also taking my time and not in a rush so if anyone knows of some places that are a must see along the way please let me know. Or if you know of some good spots to pull off to stop for the night and camp, I would appreciate if you would share that.

I should add that I will be taking the SUV and trailering the bike down to Sacramento and then riding from Sacramento south to SLO

Heres a link to the route I will be taking http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Regina&1s=SK&1a=Sherwood+Drive&1z=S4R&1y=CA&1l=50.47702&1g=-104.66385&1v=STREET&2c=Sacramento&2s=CA

the map is at the bottom of the page

Thanks for any input

Brian:cool10::cool10:

Edited by friesman
added route map

Wow guy!!!!

I wish I was doing that. Are you actually going to skirt Yellowstone? :yikes:Forget about US90 to Bozeman! Take either 212 or 89, preferably 89 and go right through the park! You can see some trully beautifull sites, maybe bison heard walking right down the road,:p geysers, lakes, etc.... come out the south entrance and head to Jackson Hole Wyoming right through Gran Teton , the sights are unforgetable, you won't regret it!:D

Then you can rejoin the shown route at Idaho Falls and continue to Reno, Nevada. From there I would go south on 395 to Lake Tahoe. From there take 50 to Sacramento.:think: I hope you are not going through there because you expect to see something, I wouldn't waste the time!:puzzled: Now, from sacramento go 80 to 680 to 37 to San Rafael and then South towards San Francisco which will bring you to the crossing of the Golden Gate bridge from the North, Just before getting to the bridge there will be a turnoff to the right to an observation point in the hill which, if not foggy, will give you a view of San Francisco and the bridge that you won't forget!:smile5:

From there continue to Monterey and Calif.1 not 101, 1 (one) that is the coastal route through Big Sur. If you haven't ridden Big Sur you haven't ridden California!:happy34:

While in Monterey go by Pacific Grove and Pebble beach. Don't run out of chips for your camera!

Try to overnight in Cambria, inexpensive motels, excelent restaurants right on the beach.:rolleyes:

In Moro Bay, look at Moro Rock , as if you could miss it, then on to SLO.

If you are still full of energy on the way back, don't retrace the route! Go through Yosemite and spend a day there (Life is too short to miss that!) look at the Sequoya trees then on through southern Utah, Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Moab Wow,:eek: I would surely love to do that again!:crying:

Take lots of photos and I don't mean just bikes! You'll be passing through some of the most beautifull scenery on this earth, don't miss it. Few get that chance!:clap2:

Hmmmm. Trailering eh? Well, stop at Billings and park the truck. Get on the bike and take 212 toward Yellowstone. When you get to the top keep an eye out and turn left on Chief Joseph Highway, which will take you into Cody. When you get to Cody turn around an do it the other direction. Pick up the truck and return to your normally scheduled programming.

Sure. You could do it in the truck, pulling the bike, but how sad would that be?

212 from Red Lodge to Yellowstone is the absolute DO NOT MISS road. That's the Beartooth! If I'm within a couple of states I figure I'm there and I'm going. Went to Ft. Collins last year, by way of the Beartooth. Gonna go see Crazy Horse? Oooohhh. Beartooth. I'm trying to figure out how to go to Arkansas by way of the Beartooth. Getting ready for next year, you know.

Here's why:

I leaving for VentureWest IV next Sat morning (the 9th of Aug) from Regina Sk. (about an 90min drive directly north of the Montana/NorthDakota border) and am probably going to be on highways I-15 to I-86 to I-80(basically thu Montana to idaho, to nevada to california) down to Sacramento eventuallly getting to SLO. Has anyone travelled those recently that knows of anything I should be aware (or beware) of.

I would like to avoid construction if at all possible but its summertime and its just one of those things thats going to happen.

I am also taking my time and not in a rush so if anyone knows of some places that are a must see along the way please let me know. Or if you know of some good spots to pull off to stop for the night and camp, I would appreciate if you would share that.

I should add that I will be taking the SUV and trailering the bike down to Sacramento and then riding from Sacramento south to SLO

Heres a link to the route I will be taking http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Regina&1s=SK&1a=Sherwood+Drive&1z=S4R&1y=CA&1l=50.47702&1g=-104.66385&1v=STREET&2c=Sacramento&2s=CA

the map is at the bottom of the page

Thanks for any input

Brian, I see that your route map takes you into downtown Sacramento. Not neccessary. Here's a link to a Google Map that'll get you from Reno to my front door. It's gotta glitch that I can't seem to get rid of on ElkHorn/Greenback exit off I-80. Disregard the 'U' turn thing and just turn right on Garfield and follow the blue line... Also the address to the gate for back yard storage is 2600 Arboretta Ct. 95608. It's a cull-de-sac that ends in my back yard. Easy turn around. That's where you want to go. My street is a dead-end, and a PITA to turn a trailer around.

By the way, that Mapquest thing realy sucks, not very complete! Get a good map unless you have a GPS. I like the Zumo!

Got a gps, and love it , my brain still like maps to plan a route tho, the gps gets used pretty much only while moving.

I just used mapquest to be able to post the link for viewing.

Brian

Brian, I see that your route map takes you into downtown Sacramento. Not neccessary. Here's a link to a Google Map that'll get you from Reno to my front door. It's gotta glitch that I can't seem to get rid of on ElkHorn/Greenback exit off I-80. Disregard the 'U' turn thing and just turn right on Garfield and follow the blue line... Also the address to the gate for back yard storage is 2600 Arboretta Ct. 95608. It's a cull-de-sac that ends in my back yard. Easy turn around. That's where you want to go. My street is a dead-end, and a PITA to turn a trailer around.

I knew that and appreciate the concerns to keep me on the route. I did this one up as I didnt want to post your address to the world.

Hmm have you been watching my webcam, and seen how crappy I am at backing the trailer into the spot? I suck big time at backing up, LOL!

Brian

If you want to stay the night here on your way we have a place for you. We are about 2.5 hours from Sacramento if you going either Hwy 50 or I-80

Will do my best to meet with you on whatever day you come through the area. I have the 12th marked on my work calendar and I am off on Monday so it looks like we can at least meet for coffee.

I sent you a PM with phone numbers in it. Let me know what works for you.

I knew that and appreciate the concerns to keep me on the route. I did this one up as I didnt want to post your address to the world.

Hmm have you been watching my webcam, and seen how crappy I am at backing the trailer into the spot? I suck big time at backing up, LOL!

Brian

No problem on the address. Half the world knows it already... :) The home of the Venture project.. :whistling:

Around here you have to be half-way decent in backing up a trailer. The back yard looks like an RV parking lot. WE'll get it in... :thumbsup2:

If you want to stay the night here on your way we have a place for you. We are about 2.5 hours from Sacramento if you going either Hwy 50 or I-80

Will do my best to meet with you on whatever day you come through the area. I have the 12th marked on my work calendar and I am off on Monday so it looks like we can at least meet for coffee.

I sent you a PM with phone numbers in it. Let me know what works for you.

Thanks! I hope we can get to gether, it is always great to put a face to the posts. I am not 100 % sure of my timing but right now I think i should be through your area Monday eve or Tues. I am going to stop along the way to see the sights if something looks interesting so thats why I am not sure of when I will be there. But I.ve been thru yellowstone, Montana and parts of Idaho before a few times so I was kinda thinking of spending more time looking around in your area and CA.

No problem on the address. Half the world knows it already... :) The home of the Venture project.. :whistling:

Around here you have to be half-way decent in backing up a trailer. The back yard looks like an RV parking lot. WE'll get it in... :thumbsup2:

I am not worried , if worse come to worse , it has a nice big wheel at the front so I can push it into a tight spot after I uncouple it from the SUV, lol

We understand wanting to see things you haven't before. Just call the numbers I gave you when you get close and we will go from there.

Drive safe and if you are using a phone while driving in the People's Republic of California, be sure you are using a hands-free device as they will ticket you if you don't.

With the budget being what it is I am sure they are being pushed to raise revenues by any means possible! :witch_brew: