IGNORED

Member needs help with '83

OK folks, I got an email from one of our members Michael F. Kerr. Michael lives in San Diego and is having a problem with is '83. Here is the message. His user name here is Michael F. Kerr so you can PM him at that name.

My faithful "Black Beauty" is showing her age. She's an '83 gen 1. I've been plagued by an oil leak I finally traced to a leaking cam cover gasket. This was surprising, as the engine was just re-built a while back, and the cam cover seals were new. Long story short: As you know, each of the eight cam shaft hold down caps has a cast in, threaded, boss where the cover bolt threads in. On one cap, this boss is broken off, don't know why, although the aluminum isn't the best looking I've ever seen. A poor casting combined with age, I suspect.

Another is stripped. I suspect it "popped" just as I let up on the torque wrench, and I missed it. Or maybe it was marginal, and heat expansion did the deed. So my question is: are you or any of the other riders aware of a Gen 1 engine being retired and "pieced out"? I looked at the online parts manual, and they, the caps, don't seem to appear as a seperate part...probably because the cam bore would have been line bored at the factory with the caps in place when the engine was built. So maybe someone knows of some laying around? If I can find a few I can get them sized here, and I've found very good steel inserts to re-thread all the existing 6mm holes.