I need some advise. I have researched the entire site and cannot locate anyone that has or had the same problem I am trying to assist a friend with.

My bud own a great looking 83 Venture that all of sudden went dead and I mean dead electrically. He thought he had a dead battery but when I checked it out, the battery was fine but discovered the main 40 amp fuse had blown. Wired in an aftermarket 40 amp inline fuse but as soon as the fuse is snapped it, it blows. What on earth could be wrong. Thought maybe it was the problem was a shorted starter so disconnected the starter and as soon as another fuse in installed it blows again.

All the accessories are now disconnected and still the fuse blows.

What would be the most common problem to look at in this situation. I am not the electrically inclined but have basic knowledge of electrical systems.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the hot garage but will look later for any advise from the members.

I need some advise. I have researched the entire site and cannot locate anyone that has or had the same problem I am trying to assist a friend with.

My bud own a great looking 83 Venture that all of sudden went dead and I mean dead electrically. He thought he had a dead battery but when I checked it out, the battery was fine but discovered the main 40 amp fuse had blown. Wired in an aftermarket 40 amp inline fuse but as soon as the fuse is snapped it, it blows. What on earth could be wrong. Thought maybe it was the problem was a shorted starter so disconnected the starter and as soon as another fuse in installed it blows again.

All the accessories are now disconnected and still the fuse blows.

What would be the most common problem to look at in this situation. I am not the electrically inclined but have basic knowledge of electrical systems.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the hot garage but will look later for any advise from the members.

First Remove All the Fuses from the Main Fuse Block ( 6 each )

Now find the Second Fuse holder located, forward, and to the right of the battery.

Remove all those fuses also.

Now look at diagram, the 40 amp main is still connected to----

1. the Ignition Switch. ( Follow the cable " From " the Ignition Switch, dissconnect

it, --- Does the fuse still blow ??? )

2. Item # 72 the capacitor, ( this capacitor, MIGHT be Shorted to ground )

This is a possibility, but low on my list.

3. Follow the " R " Wire from the fuse which goes to the Instrument Panel.

----- So Pull the Large Plug out of the Instrument Panel, DOES THE FUSE STILL

BLOW ????

4. See Point " A " in a square box on page 7-11- ( Your removed the fuses from the Secondary fuse block, so Point " A " is now not connected to anything.

5. Now follow the " R " wire from the 40 amp main fuse, see where it connects to

the " R " wire " OUTPUT " from the REGULATOR/RECTIFYER unit.

---- Why ??? --- There Might be a DEAD Short Inside the Regulator/Regularo

unit. SO, Find the OUTPUT PLUG --- FROM --- the Regulator, ( it has 2 Red wires, and 2 black wires ) going thru it.

------- Disconnect the Plug, DOES THE FUSE STILL BLOW ??? IF NOT, you have found the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, After removeing the fuses, ( two fuse blocks ) then go to ITEM #5. My gut feeling, is this is the most likley cause of you problem.

This whole thing smells to me like another case of Run Amok Electrons !!!!