IGNORED

High Altitudes

warrenstar

Recently retired and bought an 05 RSTD with around 20,000 on it. I will be leaving from South GA on July 14 for an 'epic' 34 day ride across the US back(I hope). Never having ridden in the Rockies I am looking forward to it but wonder if there are any problems to expect when riding in such high altitudes with a bike that has carbs. The last decade I rode a 91 Concours which was also had carbs but I never ventured far from the south. I would welcome any constructive advice or tips. By the way this is my first post. Thanks, warrenstar

Last year I took my 05 RSV up through New Mexico and Colorado on the way to our gathering in Fort Collins, zig-zagging back and forth across the Divide. In three days, my brother and I crossed 14 passes over 10,000 feet (and a bunch more between 8,000 and 10,000) with zero problems. Even on the highest and steepest stretches I never even came close to wanting more power! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

That's good news-all I need to hear to put any worries out of my mind. I am hoping to ride for about three days in the area and will likely cross the Divide several tims also. Any 'can't' miss roads or rides in the area or are they all as equally spectacular? Thanks for the reply. warrenstar

That's good news-all I need to hear to put any worries out of my mind. I am hoping to ride for about three days in the area and will likely cross the Divide several times also. Any 'can't' miss roads or rides in the area or are they all as equally spectacular? Thanks for the reply. warrenstar

There are tons of spectacular passes up there, but no mater what, don't miss Red Mountain (Durango up to Silverton and down the other side). There are three passes on that road, and Red Mountain is between Silverton and Ouray. Mosquito Pass down into Leadville is another phenomenal run, but I haven't been on that since the 80s, and it was still dirt back then. I have NO IDEA if it has ever been paved, so do some research on Google Earth or a current Colorado state map before you plan to ride that one!

Wolf Creek used to be great, but it is all freeway with a big tunnel at the top now, so quite boring. Crossing over through Rocky Mountain National Park is certainly worth while - spectacular views on the top and generally good road, but it will be crowded. All of the Pine Bark Beetle damage to the forests on the western slope dropping out of the park is really depressing and spoils the once wonderful scenery.

Those are just a few of the highlights. Not everyone likes the high passes like I do. I just take a map and plot a route that hits as many of them as possible without doubling back more than five times or so! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

rode that from dallas ... all that ever really happened is that i backfired once or twice when pulling in the clutch. never had a problem with power or anything. one tip ... on those high passes in the shade ... put on some long fingered gloves. it got a bit chilly :D