IGNORED

It just quit on me

Guest hillbro

Guest hillbro

I was out for a quick ride before the winds got up and going up a moderate incline when the engine quit, like I had hit a kill switch. I am new to Ventures, mine is an 84. The guy I bought it from mentioned the switch activated by the side stand could cause problems. I messed with it on the side of the road, but couldn't get it to go. There's lots of gas and I've had no problems til now and it has run great. Any suggestions?

'

Isn't the "dead ignition switch" mostly a 2nd gen problem?

I know switches go bad and ours ARE going on 20 years... but most of what I've seen on the 1st gen is funky safety switches, connectors and module connection pins... when an ignition switch goes, they die (at least three accounts I've read of).

Now it IS real disappointing to read of relative NEW bikes (2nd gen) that turn up "dead" due to an intermittant ignition switch. THAT has to be a fun road-side repair !!!

This happened to me on my 83.

Jeff AKA muffin man had me jump the ignition fuse this worked.

I got 12V on my Ohem meeter but the connection was not strong enough to run any thing

Then I put an in line fuse in place of the original no problems after that, some day replace fuse box.

Dale

Good point, Dale, those fuse panels are a real failure waiting to happen. Odd that they put a small "blade fuse" box up in front of the battery for a couple accessory things and left that old style, fuse clip junk on top with all the "important" needs.

i am right with you , on that one , brother.

went right over my head~

lol

just jt

Jets profile

Total Posts
1 But no ago info maybe hes 16 and want a sport bike? thats why hes looking at a first gen thread :322:

Guest Jetman

Just razzing my old man! :) If I were down there I'd clean all the contacts on the kick stand kill switch, CDI and get a multi meter and start checking for voltages at the ignition switch.

And don't worry, I ride too, just not quite at the Venture stage yet, although I appreciate that on a nice full dress tourer you can still see the engine!

Cheers fellas.

Guest Jetman

I believe I got a bus pass!

But the first bike I bought myself was an old CB450. Great bike.

I'm currently working on an old XS project and have a 74 XL350 as well.