IGNORED

600 Mile service completed today.

I had the 600 mile service done today at the dealer, The only parts were the oil (Yamaha 10w-40 oil) six quarts, gasket x two and an oil filter.

They went through and checked the fasteners, checked and adjusted the drive belt did a diagnostic scan, checked all the lights and switches.

Total cost $341.75

I bought a maintenance plan that covers the bike for three years for all scheduled maintenance including checking the valves, syncing the injectors, spark plugs, swing arm lube, steering head lube, brake fluid change at the two year mark. Anything the manual states is maintenance this plan covers it parts and labor.

The maintenance plan cost $2,695 for three years of maintenance coverage.

So deducting the 600 mile service $2695 - 341.75 = $2353.25 left to spend to break even and anything over that is pure gravy. I plan on riding this bike so I expect to get at least three valve adjustments done if not four before the maintenance plan expires. I figure the injector syncing every 4,000 miles, and new spark plugs every 8,000 miles will then add in the valve adjustments at 16,000 miles and the steering head and swing arm check and lube I am betting I come out way ahead and by the time the plan expires we should have a good idea just how these bikes are responding to maintenance requirements.

The plan does not cover tires, clutch or brakes. Pretty much standard for any plan. I have never worn out a clutch on a bike and brakes I can do myself as well as tires as I have a No-Mar tire changing machine. Even the drive belt looks pretty similar to the Victory's as far as changing it.

The plan comes out to $898.33 a year so for the first year I have already spent $341.75 of the 898.33 leaving $556.58 left to spend on year one to break even, I am betting the by the 8,000 mile service with the spark plug change I will have spent the entire 898.33 and will still have a valve adjustment coming and another set of spark plugs.

Just came back from getting something to eat and filled up the Star Venture and hand calculated the fuel mileage at 40.1 MPG. The bikes overall average display is reading 40.0 MPG so it is right on the money on my bike.

Not bad at all considering the bike is rated at 34 MPG and the engine is in the first 1,000 mile break-in period.

I think Yamaha has built a winner in the Star Venture.

Just came back from getting something to eat and filled up the Star Venture and hand calculated the fuel mileage at 40.1 MPG. The bikes overall average display is reading 40.0 MPG so it is right on the money on my bike.

Not bad at all considering the bike is rated at 34 MPG and the engine is in the first 1,000 mile break-in period.

I think Yamaha has built a winner in the Star Venture.

"You're killing me....is it Monday yet?!?!??"

I think if users shift this engine like it was a commercial diesel, then I'll bet after break in...you could get 43-47! High RPM sucks fuel, not a slow spinning engine that has a long relaxed power stroke and slow, full burn. I think as the numbers over this summer come in...people will frankly be happily surprised.

I had the 600 mile service done today at the dealer, The only parts were the oil (Yamaha 10w-40 oil) six quarts, gasket x two and an oil filter.

They went through and checked the fasteners, checked and adjusted the drive belt did a diagnostic scan, checked all the lights and switches.

Total cost $341.75

I bought a maintenance plan that covers the bike for three years for all scheduled maintenance including checking the valves, syncing the injectors, spark plugs, swing arm lube, steering head lube, brake fluid change at the two year mark. Anything the manual states is maintenance this plan covers it parts and labor.

The maintenance plan cost $2,695 for three years of maintenance coverage.

So deducting the 600 mile service $2695 - 341.75 = $2353.25 left to spend to break even and anything over that is pure gravy. I plan on riding this bike so I expect to get at least three valve adjustments done if not four before the maintenance plan expires. I figure the injector syncing every 4,000 miles, and new spark plugs every 8,000 miles will then add in the valve adjustments at 16,000 miles and the steering head and swing arm check and lube I am betting I come out way ahead and by the time the plan expires we should have a good idea just how these bikes are responding to maintenance requirements.

The plan does not cover tires, clutch or brakes. Pretty much standard for any plan. I have never worn out a clutch on a bike and brakes I can do myself as well as tires as I have a No-Mar tire changing machine. Even the drive belt looks pretty similar to the Victory's as far as changing it.

The plan comes out to $898.33 a year so for the first year I have already spent $341.75 of the 898.33 leaving $556.58 left to spend on year one to break even, I am betting the by the 8,000 mile service with the spark plug change I will have spent the entire 898.33 and will still have a valve adjustment coming and another set of spark plugs.

I've been watching the new Star Venture because I'm not totally thrilled with the new Gold Wing; currently have Wing trike and Honda ST1300. However, this very expensive maintenance schedule could be a real show stopper. I'm used to oil changes at 8k, valves checked every 32K, no fuel injector sync, spark plugs at 16k. And most of the maintenance I do myself. Will keep following as more reports come out.

I've been watching the new Star Venture because I'm not totally thrilled with the new Gold Wing; currently have Wing trike and Honda ST1300. However, this very expensive maintenance schedule could be a real show stopper. I'm used to oil changes at 8k, valves checked every 32K, no fuel injector sync, spark plugs at 16k. And most of the maintenance I do myself. Will keep following as more reports come out.

Uh oh..Honda...another Winger is being lured to the Dark Side...

There are at least 5 of us currently posting, that have already moved from our Wings, to the SVTC. You won't be alone in the wilderness, lol! One heck of bike, for the money!

You can do most of the work, right on your own drive way. Fuel sync is a breeze, and is the same for any other multi cylinder bike. You only need to buy the tubes...

Spark plugs...easy to get to.

Oil changes...the easiest access to an oil filter I have ever seen on a bike, and oil change intervals...some still do 3,000 miles regardless. Just use a good synthetic.

You have one set of valves on each cylinder that requires a clearance check (they recommend every 15,000) for they are locked-tappet activated. The other set is run by hydraulic lifters. Easy peasy...no need to remove the cams or risk timing chain, mistooth fiasco's with this setup.

Being that you are a current Gold Winger...take a look at how fast and easy, is changing the air cleaner. Remember what you have to do, to get to the element on a Wing...and shudder... That alone, was one of the reasons that I had had enough with Wings. They never changed that on the 2018. You still need to spend hours and $$$'s to get to it. Ridiculous! On the Star Venture...both housings stare you right in the face, lol!

Uh oh..Honda...another Winger is being lured to the Dark Side...

There are at least 5 of us currently posting, that have already moved from our Wings, to the SVTC. You won't be alone in the wilderness, lol! One heck of bike, for the money!

Yeah, and I'm learning about V-twins also. Never heard of fuel injector sync before. My Gl1800 has 67,000 miles on it and never had anything done to injectors and still runs like a sewing machine. I actually have several complaints about the new Wing. The first time I sat on one my salesman (has sold me three bikes) asked what I thought. I told him truthfully that it felt like someone gave my ST1300 a new paint job and a fancy dash. He said he had heard this several times.

Since my primary ride will be a trike I'm just not sure I can deal with the smaller size. I'm anxiously waiting to see if anyone will trike the SVTC. If not then I'll figure out if and when to do something. :)

You can do most of the work, right on your own drive way. Fuel sync is a breeze, and is the same for any other multi cylinder bike. You only need to buy the tubes...

Spark plugs...easy to get to.

Oil changes...the easiest access to an oil filter I have ever seen on a bike, and oil change intervals...some still do 3,000 miles regardless. Just use a good synthetic.

You have one set of valves on each cylinder that requires a clearance check (they recommend every 15,000) for they are locked-tappet activated. The other set is run by hydraulic lifters. Easy peasy...no need to remove the cams or risk timing chain, mistooth fiasco's with this setup.

Being that you are a current Gold Winger...take a look at how fast and easy, is changing the air cleaner. Remember what you have to do, to get to the element on a Wing...and shudder... That alone, was one of the reasons that I had had enough with Wings. They never changed that on the 2018. You still need to spend hours and $$$'s to get to it. Ridiculous! On the Star Venture...both housings stare you right in the face, lol!

Ah, yes, the infamous air filter change. BTW, I am a certified expert at changing the air filter and have several T-shirts to prove it. hahaha. My problem right now is I have waited on a new Wing for years. I don't blame Honda for changing as I think they must appeal to the younger generations coming along. I don't know if I really need to change anything as my current ride is in great shape and now equipped just the way I want. But, the SVTC did catch my attention and if someone builds a trike kit for it I will be seriously interested. For now I'm just waiting and am in no hurry to purchase anything.

Ah, yes, the infamous air filter change. BTW, I am a certified expert at changing the air filter and have several T-shirts to prove it. hahaha. My problem right now is I have waited on a new Wing for years. I don't blame Honda for changing as I think they must appeal to the younger generations coming along. I don't know if I really need to change anything as my current ride is in great shape and now equipped just the way I want. But, the SVTC did catch my attention and if someone builds a trike kit for it I will be seriously interested. For now I'm just waiting and am in no hurry to purchase anything.

Honestly, I think that you being a trike rider...that you already have the best conversion for a trike...your Wing. Just my feelings that you are probably already 'there'. I don't think you would see any advantage to going to the SVTC for a trike conversion, unless of course, you really are attracted to the many infotainment upgrade and features the SVTC has, vs. your Wing. You'd certainly gain there...but for the mechanics of it? I think you already have the best set-up for a trike. :)