IGNORED

Oil Level

Hey, Fellas.

Little worried over here.

When I first got this bike 5 years ago and 40,000 miles ago, I filled the oil to the proscribed level and was rewarded with an oily mess in my air boxes, so ever since then I've run a little less oil, and everything stays clean. I usually fill it to just below the center line on the sight glass. I don't pay much attention to numbers of quarts, I just pour the Shell Rotella T6 til it's just so. This time may have been just a touch lower than usual, but not by much. Still very visible in the sight glass.

Then last weekend I took my wife for a long weekend loop of the state, and at one point we were way out in the middle of nowhere, stopped, taking pictures. When we left, I fired it up and tore outta there like our lives depended on it. Just for fun. Like nearly wide open throttle between shifts.

Much to my dismay, the red low oil dummy light came on! I don't think I've ever seen that light before. As soon as I let up, the light went back off. My first thought was that I'd sprung a leak, and run real low. But no leaks had sprung, and the oil was still looking brand new in the sight glass when I stopped and checked it. And with normal, sane person riding techniques, it has't come on since.

If this was a cold motor on a cold day(not that I'd try a stunt like that under those conditions), I'd think I sucked all the oil out of the pan and it was up in the motor causing the light, but it was a hot engine on a hot day with brand new oil.

So I just went and filled it to above the center of the sight glass, and plan to ride it like I stole it tomorrow and see what happens.

Are these V4 motors known to have any oiling issues I'm not aware of? Like slow drainback problems?

I'll be happy for any feedback you have.

Cheers

Bert

It's not an oiling issue, it's a sensor issue.

That isn't an oil pressure light, it's an oil level light. There is a float switch at the front of the oil pan. When you really get on it the oil ends up at the back of the pan and the light comes on. Not to worry.

If that's the first time you've seen it you've been leaving fun beside the road.

True on the sensor issue, I have a Vmax with the same-ish V4 and if the oil light flashes each time I grab me some. Normal operation. I have only seen the oil light on my Venture maybe once but have launched it several times.

I have read that ideal level is a lick under 1/2 way up sight glass so thats where I keep it and other than a weeping VC gssket I never see any oil in the air box or anywhere else.

I have been using the conventional (non synthetic) version of the Rotella 15-40, the T6 is a fully synthetic. There is plenty written about pros and cons of each and might be some good reading. I wouldnt worry a moment about the oil light if it goes off when you back out of it. I go easy on these until im at op temp.