IGNORED

exhaust gas analyzer

I would like to hook up my exhaust gas analyzer (co only) to assist with fine tuning on my first gen synch and tune.

In the "historic" Yamaha Venture technician training videos on you tube (video 3 of 12) they show an EGA providing a reading for each individual cylinder. However, this is a dual exhaust bike and I see no access port for each individual cylinder's exhaust in the header.

How are they obtaining individual cylinder EGA readings ?

What am I missing ?

There are individual ports in the header pipes just ahead of the collector box. The ports are plugged with a hex head screw - 10mm head I think.

Probably not going to be a fun task getting them out.

Realistically you'd be less time and money with a digital tachometer and a set of vacuum gauges. The little bit extra you could get from a gas analyzer only matters if you need tenths of a second at the track or need to make the EPA happy.

I mostly agree with Carl on this one but if I owned a CO sniffer I to would have all 4 cylinders richness balanced for efficiency myself, it can make 1 or 2 MPG difference and, just like syncing the carbs, will make the engine run a little cooler. It is much more accurate than just turning the richness screws out 2 1/2 turns each. Like Carl said, those sniffer port plugs are probably really seized up at this point and just manually adjusting the screws will work quite well unless one of them is really buggered up.

That being said, there is a device called a color tune plug which is a specialized spark plug with a window in it that allows you to adjust the actual color of each explosion to near that perfect 5.1 sniffer reading for maximum efficiency. They cost about $75 which is one heck of a lot cheaper than what a CO sniffer costs!!

I notice you are from Syracuse, like in NY? If so, try to make it to the Western New York Northeast Regional Rally this August! We are only a couple or three hours from you!

Here's one for $81+ $10 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gunson+gas+tune&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgunson+gas+analyzer.TRS0&_nkw=gunson+gas+analyzer&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunson-Exhaust-Gas-Tester-Digital-Exhaust-CO-Analyser-EXCELLENT-/262919657488?hash=item3d373b9810:g:WMsAAOSwzgBY4BqY

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WMsAAOSwzgBY4BqY/s-l400.jpg

Back in the day (the 80's) I worked as a tech at a couple different Yamaha shops. Exhaust gas tuning made the bikes idle better/smoother and made for a better, smoother pull "off the bottom" meaning like pulling away from a stop. Mileage was marginally improved.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a Techmate electronic vacuum syncronizer to sink the carbs. They are riducluously expensive but I scored one new in the box on Craigslist for a song. Pure luck there.

After synching the carbs I used PB blaster to get the bolts out of the four exhaust bung ports. Then using a CO meter I set the mixture and adjusted to 3.8 % CO.

I did have to constantly re-adjust sync and idle- during the mixture adjustment process. Took about 2 hours.

I test drove the bike. The performance gain is big time. Kind of scared me.

None of my Ventures have ever run this well!