IGNORED

Things we should of never done growing up

Doug royal86

Never should have gone fishing off a 4 foot wide train trestle outcropping over a gorge. When the train is coming and you don't have enough speed and time to make it back to land you have to wait for the train to go by. Trains are VERY LARGE, and VERY VERY LOUD!!! And when they are less than 5 feet away and you can't do anything but stand there. Had to change my shorts when I got home after that one.

This is an entertaining thread, keep the stories coming!

Here are a few of mine (usually involving my older brother)

When we were young (about 6 and 7, i think), we decided to paint the back entrance of the house. Once mom noticed what we were doing, she was not amused. Sore bums were in our immediate future.

Once we got a little older, Kung Fu was popular on TV. At the beginning of the show, it shows David Carradine having spears thrown at him while he knocked them out of danger with his forearms. Well, we decided this looked like something we should do, so we made some spears with large tree branches. Let me tell you, knocking them out of the air with our forearms hurt like hell. Qui-Chang-Kane made it look so easy.

A little older yet (mid teens), we used to get into pellet gun fights with some of our friends. There was one day, it was just me and him in this battle. I was behind a door, peeking at him through the slit. He was about 30 feet away, pointing the gun at me and shot. Well, it turns out his aim was dead on. He hit me in the middle of my forehead. I bled like a stuck pig. When my folks got home, we lied about what actually happened, of course. I always thought that the permanent bump I felt in that wound was just a bone chip, but then started to think it was indeed still the pellet. Fast forward about 30 years, I had my doctor check it out. Indeed, the X-ray showed a nice clear image of a pellet lodged in the middle of my forehead, so he removed it for me shortly there after. To this day I thank god that the pellet didn't hit me in the eye. (I prefer having 2 eyes ).

Ok, late teens now. There is a beer strike in Alberta. What is a poor boy to do? Well a friend of mine and myself decided to take my motorcycle to Montana (7 or 8 hours away from where I live) to bring home some beer. You really can't carry much beer back on a motorcycle, especially when you have a passenger. Anyway, the friend was quite a fan of pot. He had some on him when we crossed the border. I can remember sitting on the bike in the line up to cross the border on our way back home, and this mangy old german shepherd was wondering about, and came sniffing around us. My friend has his pot in his sock, and as the dog got closer, he is trying to dissuade the dog from coming any closer by making a kicking motion toward the dog, fearing that it was a drug sniffing dog. It turns out that it was just a lazy old dog, but we didn't know that at the time.

Climbing a tree and falling onto a barbed wire fence. Got scars up the inside of my right thigh from knee to crotch. Then doing the same thing the next summer and earning matching scars on the left side. (Still managed to have kids.)

Trying that pull out the table cloth and have the dishes stay put trick but used a rug and my little brother.

Jousting matches with mops and bikes.

BB gun v/s bull frogs at the pond.

Building a huge hollowed out snow mound then challenging the the other kids to a king of the hill contest and purposefully loosing just to see them fall in.

Mooning cars on the local county highway till one of them turned out to be a cop and chased us for about 2 miles.

Playing who can go the fastest on dads riding mower right at the the house and stop just in time to avoid hitting the house but still get the closest.... I lost and had to learn how to repair siding.

Spending long summer nights in the barn building hay forts.