IGNORED

89 dash

Hi all, new to this forum, thank you for having me! I recently acquired an 89 venture royale 1300 in descent shape except for dash panels (radio and cb etc.) I was wondering if anyone has done any modifications to these panel "receptacles" since mine are cracked and radio and cb don't work. Thank you in advance

Hi all, new to this forum, thank you for having me! I recently acquired an 89 venture royale 1300 in descent shape except for dash panels (radio and cb etc.) I was wondering if anyone has done any modifications to these panel "receptacles" since mine are cracked and radio and cb don't work. Thank you in advance
Cracked and broken plastic is one of the things you will need to deal with. There are a few different methods of repairing ABS plastic and have been explained quite well in quite a few threads. Doing a search for plastic repair should find what you need to know. Repairing ABS is actually quite easy once you get onto it.

Radio and CB parts can be purchased on eBay but they are all old parts that may or may not work so it is questionable whether they are worth buying. Rather than chasing after old technology there are a few small marine stereos that can be fit into the area available on the Venture. As for CB's, I don't recall mention of any that will fit easily in the dash. There is one that can be clamped to the handlebar. Quite a few riders are using the Bluetooth headset instead. They only have a range of a mile or two but are adequate for group rides.

Welcome...

Ahhh, plastic repair can be quite the learning curve. Removed AMFMcassette (extra weight) and installed storage basket in it's place. Lots of good repair methods on board using 'search'.

I found Dominion 2 part plastic epoxy works well for most repairs. For major cracks I'll reinforce with 20 gauge galvanized sheet metal. Cracked corners and missing pieces of plastic reinforced with washers and same epoxy from inside. It's not pretty but does the job and isn't noticeable from outside. Haven't had any failures to date over 5 years, time will tell long term. good luck

Should add that a layer of epoxy was first applied on plastic, then positioned piece of sheet metal on epoxy, and then another layer of epoxy to bury the metal.

DSCN5933 1024 1.jpg

DSCN5941 1024 2.jpg

DSCN5942 1024 3.jpg

DSCN5927 1024 4.jpg

Edited by Max