IGNORED

removing carb cables

I know this sounds elementary but I've had trouble removing and re installing carb cables every time I yank a carb (working on two machines and one, unfortunately, too many times...). anyway, I know to thread in the adjusters and remove the pull cable slotted bushing/spacer and or pull the return cable out of it's holder... but no matter what, it's been a pain (sometimes hard, sometimes harder,...).

Is there a definitive order of operations and method for removing and then reinstalling the carb cables?? (choke is easy).

Going from memory here Gary so hope this is has some value to it :hihi:, I usually back off the adjusters so I get as much play as possible - pull the cable bodies out of their holders. If memory serves me correctly - the outer most cable has a metal tube on it that also has the adjustment on it that forces the cable into a "90" tight to the frame. That particular one has to come out of its holder on the carbs to clear the frame. After relaxing the cables from the holders I weasle the whole carb assembly out of the bike on the left side. Once out of the bike I am able to turn the carb bank up on its side to work on removing the cable ends from their slots from outside of the bike. I dont recall ever having to remove any other internal parts, I do know that there is an arm in there with a plastic guide on it that you have to make sure the cable gets on the correct side of when you guide the cable back in. Just make sure you study the routing a little before taking it apart.

I also use a long pair of thin needle nose pliers to remove or replace the cable ends and a long regular screw driver to help guide the cables back into their holders.. It is tight in there - kind of tedious work. Definitely not the kind of job you wanna do if your in a hurry.. :happy34:

yes, that's the way I do it, with carb set out on its side propped on a chair.. and yes, taking off the throttle linkage arm makes easier work and a screwdriver and needle nose. And yes, the pull cable goes under that little white plastic guide where it looks like it might go over.. but even with it all slacked, there isn't enough slack to place the cable ends into the pully things with the cables in the pully thing groove. I can get one or the other in easy enough but not both.. last time they came apart easy and hopefully that will repeat but they went in hard.. I think I'm missing something (like a bunch of brain cells)/

If I recall, doing the outer cable first and using it to hold open the butterfly so the cable guide for the inner is in a better spot helps.. I may have that backwards, been a while.. I do know that rotating those guides helps a lot.. Get the cable end in the little guide first and then pushing the cable into the groove with the screw driver tip helps too.. Also,,, it is always a good idea to use a cable luber and lube those lower cables when ya got it apart.. Nothing worse than going thru all the hassle we are discussing and 4k miles later have to do it all again to replace a broken cable because it ran dry and frayed apart..