IGNORED

Does the 83 Venture lose fuel pressure with no battery?

I had the battery out since last Sunday, put in new charged battery, the old girl turned over real nice like but didn't fire. I pulled a plug and grounded, turned her over & she fired (well, sort of), put the plug back

in, she fired up.

Weird.....

Oh, I did fix a run in the pcm last Sunday.. ya I know, I pulled the screws to clean inside & discovered the run (it was visually obvious, I ohm'ed and verified).

When ever you are starting your bike and you turn the ignition on, you should hear the fuel pump click several times. You should then cycle the kill switch on and off and each time you will hear the pump click again. Once the carbs fill up, it will quit clicking, or just barely click. If my bike has been sitting for a while, I may have to do this up to ten times.

As far as loosing fuel pressure, these bikes only have a little fuel pressure and that is when it is running and just enough to keep fuel up to the carbs. It does not maintain any fuel pressure when the bike is turned off.

Randy

I had the battery out since last Sunday, put in new charged battery, the old girl turned over real nice like but didn't fire. I pulled a plug and grounded, turned her over & she fired (well, sort of), put the plug back

in, she fired up.

Weird.....

Oh, I did fix a run in the pcm last Sunday.. ya I know, I pulled the screws to clean inside & discovered the run (it was visually obvious, I ohm'ed and verified).

The battery is designed to keep air in the tires. If you pull the battery, and don't put it in again for several months... I guarantee your tires will be low.

The battery is designed to keep air in the tires. If you pull the battery, and don't put it in again for several months... I guarantee your tires will be low.

I think you are confused...it is the 2017 that has the tire inflation tender.

but that is another thread:whistling:

in, she fired up.

Weird.....

All carburetor vehicles seem to have their own system for starting. At least the owners find a way that seems to work for them. It took me a while, but, I finally realized that all vehicles with carbs have the same issue; The fuel evaporates from the float bowl if left sitting. This leads to a lot of cranking until fuel gets pumped into the bowls. However, if you have an electric fuel pump, allow the pump to fill the bowl(s) before you try starting. Realize that a safety device will shut off the fuel pump after a few seconds if the engine is not running. I cycle the key on/off for a few seconds until I no longer hear the pump running. This same procedure works on EFI vehicles that have sat for a long time, or have a problem that releases the pressure in the fuel rails.