IGNORED

130mm Front brake mounts

Here is the adapter I came up with to mount the R1 6 pot calipers to the Gen 2 Venture and the RSTD. The bolt spacing is 130 mm which will also allow the Brembo caliper to also be mounted as long as they are for the R1 and have a bolt spacing of 130 mm.

caliper_adapter01 Model.jpg

Edited by PGunn

Here is a shot of them mounted on my bike. I put about 1500 miles on them to test and not a single problem. These are plain nothing fancy but I'm sure they can be machined a little more to make them better looking. The mounts are the same for both sides, there is no left or right.

Adapter.jpg

They are made out of 3/4 inch thick Aluminum plate all corners inside and out call for a 1/4 inch radius. I had to buy 18" lines and banjos for both sides. I couldn't find a set with attached banjos with the correct geometry between the ends without putting a twist in them. The stock mounting bolts are retained also for the tube mount and for the caliper mount (bolts are from the R1).

Any plans on producing a 'kit' for sale?? I bet there are a bunch of Venture trike owners and two wheelers pulling larger camper trailers who would be interested..... And... did you use a CNC to cut the part out?? Another thought.... did you check to see if the lines off an R1 would work?? Maybe?

Edited by Condor

No kit but let me explain why, Last December I was out for a ride on my Venture and due to my fault, took my eyes off the road for about 5 seconds and got caught in a progressively tightening curve lost control and totaled the bike, got 2,000 for it. Well long story short I broke my right foot, right ankle, right collar bone, right scapula in 7 places, and my neck at the C2 vertebrate. So my riding is done for good because of my neck and according to everyone in the medical field I'm lucky to be walking with no after effects.

I did have these done at a CNC shop in Canada and I'll be happy to give you the guys info he also told me with a bigger order he could get the water jet cut saving on a lot of the machining. He charged me 120.00 for one set. I also did a lot of checking the legal aspects of a kit and the liability alone would drive the cost way up so that is why I posted the print. I figured the group here could get together and get a volume discount saving some money. Also if you buy a used set of calipers I highly recommend that you rebuild them before installing them.

The R1 lines are too short to reach.

Thanks for the reply and info. Glad you healed up OK. Was the accident any result of the modification, or a gremlin?? The reason I ask is after really looking at the pic on the bike, it looks like the leading edge and the trailing edge of the pad are only making contact with about 50% of the rotor and could use a rotor with a larger radius. I don't know but maybe the rotors from a 6 piston R1 may be bigger than the earlier 4 piston R1... We used to have some very knowledgeable R1 riders on this board. Maybe one might chime in and explain the difference.... if any??

Just found this pic. Looks like there is more contact...

galfer_sportbike_front_brake_line_yamaha_r120092013_zoom.jpg

Edited by Condor

The pads make full contact it was one of the things I was most concerned about, it looks like the angle I took it at is causing the question it isn't a real straight on picture like the one you posted.

The accident was completely my fault had nothing to do with the brakes or anything else, driver error only. I had the bike leaned over so far the RK muffler was lifted the back tire up which was when things really went bad....

With the difference between the 2 R1 calipers the 6 pot has 2 pads per side (4 in total) one covers 2 of the pots and the second the 3 pot giving more surface contact on the pads and rotor. and yes these thing make the OEM calipers on the Venture look under size....

This is from when I was testing fit....

compare.jpg

Edited by PGunn

Must be an optical... It looks like one and three pistons are sitting over the scrapper lip and the #2 center is where it should be...

I just did a quick google and the rotors for the 6 piston caliper are larger at 339.8mm The OEM Venture are 298.

6 pot rotor R1.jpg

Edited by Condor

Front rotor diameter on a R1 is 310 mm which is a difference of 12 mm or 6 mm per side or about .23 of an inch. The end slots of the caliper sits about 1/8 th of an inch off the OD of the rotor with the pads sitting below the OD of the rotor.

Now on a car your diminitions are correct below is the sizes of a car caliper which is at least twice or real close to twice the size.

I do understand your concern but as I said I put at least 1500 miles with no issues and pad ware was just as it should have been no stepping on the outside edge of the pads

950-W6Aspecs.gif Car caliper.jpg

Please ignore the "R4" edit I did that is one of the side effects from the concussion I received from the accident. I have had issues with it but it is getting better, I'm driving my wife nuts sometimes saying one thing than later changing what I said only to realize I am wrong and yes it does suck.

Yamaha YZF ‘R1’ 98-03 298 5 0 132 8.5 150 6 MD2074LD MD2074RD MD2074CR

Yamaha YZF R1 (5VY) 04-06 320 4.5 0 132.2 8.5 150 5 MD2094LD MD2094RD MD2094CR

Yamaha YZF-R1 07-14 6-piston, radial-mount front brake calipers with 310mm rotors http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/page/yamaha-r1-parts-specs)

Yamaha R6 05-06 310 4.5 0 132.2 8.5 150 5 MD2095LD MD2095RD MD2095CR

So from what I can find searching is from 98-03 (4 pot) rotor size is 298 mm, From 04-06 rotor size is 320 mm and from 07-14 rotor size is 310 mm and the R6 rotor size is 310 also.

mc-front-rotor-sizes_Page_1.jpg mc-front-rotor-sizes_Page_2.jpg

Edited by PGunn