IGNORED

Batwing

billmac

Looking for the advantage of a batwing for the RSTD.

1. will I get better MPG's

2. will the air flow be better with the fairing than the windshield

3. will my hands be protected better from the cold, rain and bugs

4. will the shield on the fairing versus the windshield be higher/lower or the same

5. will the wife feel more wind than the windshield ( she's not complaining now )

6. will I look cooler with the batwing vs the windshield.

thanks in advance for the info.

1. no

2. not sure what is "better" - the windshield still needs to be cut to the correct height

3. yes

4. all shields should be cut so that you can see over them

5. probably not if the windshields are cut to approx. the same height

6. totally!

zag

PS My batwing experience is from my honda cruiser, not my venture.

Edited by zagger

1. No

2. The more area up front to capture cross winds, the more tiring it is on the shoulders and arms when fighting crosswinds all day.

3. Absolutely

4. As Zag was saying, trim to needed heights - its not always possible to trim down to a good 1 up riding height and still get adequate turbulence coverage for the passenger. Nice thing about fairings is the wider stance and ability to have a higher windshield does seem to create a bigger air pocket for the passenger.

5. Doubtful - see number 4

6. I still LOVE the old school look of just a windshield.. Stop by a Harley shop and ask them what their best seller is, Street Glide with the Bat Wing. Talking JUST LOOKS HERE - NOTHING ELSE BEING CONSIDERED = I would stay with just a windshield cause there are fewer of them, would not wanna appear like I am trying to be a copy cat Harley wanna be gangster,, plus,, I really do LOVE the looks of just a windshield.. In the end Bill,, it'll look cool either way :big-grin-emoticon:

I put a Reckless on my RSTD when I had it. I loved it. No better mileage, but no worse either. I had 2 shields. A shorty for summer and a taller one for winter. Definitely protected my hands much better. Not sure if the passenger ride is better or not. Depending on what fairing you get will dictate availability of shields. The Reckless would take any Harley touring shield so lots of options. The big win for me was a sweet stereo for the long rides!

Looking for the advantage of a batwing for the RSTD.

1. will I get better MPG's

2. will the air flow be better with the fairing than the windshield

3. will my hands be protected better from the cold, rain and bugs

4. will the shield on the fairing versus the windshield be higher/lower or the same

5. will the wife feel more wind than the windshield ( she's not complaining now )

6. will I look cooler with the batwing vs the windshield.

thanks in advance for the info.

1. No difference

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Mine is lower. Most that I've see are lower.

5. My wife thinks it is the same.

6. Most that have commented on mine ask if it's a Harley. So my answer is YES for less than half the cost and maintenance.