IGNORED

Battery recommendations?

mechanic1

I have an 86 venture royals (1300). Battery is 2 or 3 years old and no longer seems to take or hold a charge like it should. Still has the sensor and kind of like to keep it original. Anybody got recommendations on a good battery?

If you are dead set on retaining the electrolyte level sensor, get this battery: Yuasa SY50-N18L-AT

It comes complete with an electrolyte sensor.

A word of warning for those who may try to use a conventional lead acid (wet) battery with the original equipment electrolyte sensor: not all sensors are the same. One can short out the new battery if the old sensor is used, because the old sensor may be too long and it may make actual contact with the plates in the new battery. Conversely, some OEM electrolyte sensor may be too short and will indicate a low electrolyte condition before there is an actual low electrolyte level. Bottom line: don't use the sensor from the old battery. Only use the sensor provided by the battery manufacturer.It is best, if one wishes to retain the electrolyte sensor, to utilize the sensor that may come with the new "wet" battery.

Having said that; I would not install a conventional "wet" lead acid battery. The Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery (Yuasa YTX24HL-BS) is maintenance free and has a higher cranking capacity.

Commonly, the battery electrolyte sensor is disconnected at the bullet connector. Snip the sensor from the end of this disconnected wire assembly. Strip the cut end of the wire and solder a 2.2K ohm to 22K ohm resistor onto the stripped bare wire. Solder another short wire to the resistor. Cover the resistor and the soldered joints with heat shrink or electrical tape. Connect the end of the new wire extension to the Positive Accessory Post on the fuse block. Reconnect the bullet connector to the bike harness where it was previously.

The CMS warning light will light when the battery sensor is removed. Incorporating the resistor into the circuit will satisfy the CMS that there is a good battery electrolyte level and the warning light will be extinguished.

This "mod" is very commonly done and a search of the forum will return innumerable hits on the subject.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I had been told that some bikes would not run with it just disconnected

I am not aware of the failure to run with the electrolyte sensor disconnected. A disconnected electrolyte sensor will only result in a flashing warning light and illuminated "battery" icon on the Venture CMS. No harm will be done with sensor disconnected.

Harm WILL be done to the CMS if one connects the wire directly to 12 volt without the resistor.