IGNORED

Glacier National Park Ride

scope59

I have a 2009 RSV with MTC Voyager And Harbor Freight Trailer in tow. Just got home on Monday from a ride to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. While on the journey I had electrical problems. I wired in a multi meter to the battery to try and help troubleshoot the problem. I would start off with a charged battery each day with 13.5 volts or better. While running, the charging system appeared to be producing 13.5 - 14.5 output. I also disconnected the battery with the engine running and isolating the charging system and still had 12 - 14 volts. Put loads on and no load. Tried checking the rectifier/regulator but I could not get the second 10mm bolt out because of a lack of specific tool 1/4 inch ratchet. The problem did appear to be intermittent. When the bike would cut off it seemed like it was always after a hard climb. Downshifting made no difference. When the bike would die it was similar to running out of gas. It would have a voltage of 11. 3 or so. It was like something was causing an excessive draw on the system then going to the battery for the excess. It was as warm as 96 degrees and I only heard the fan come on once the entire trip and that was after climbing to the summit at Glacier. Could the fan be the culprit with excess amp draw?

My clutch was acting up also. However, it was only acting up after climbing. By the time I would get to the top of a long climb the clutch lever had no resistance to it at all. The clutch fluid was a little darker than the brake fluid. I would get back to flat driving and no issues at all with the clutch.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Steve

Be nothing wrong with testing the fan motor,, if I suspected it at all I would check it out... From there I would start with the battery,, making sure the terminals and cables are good and clean - ground to frame too.. Then double/triple check the actual condition of the battery itself - weak cell(s) can do crazy stuff.. Maybe take a really close look at the stator wires (never did work on a 2nd Gen,, seems like I read somewhere that the stator wires now terminate at the Regulator - on my 1st Gens they have a 3 wire terminal along the frame on the left side = LOTS of issues with those over the years). Gotta be a way to do a quick ohm check on the stator by the three phase wiring coming from it,, cant imagine that ability has change much..

Something I bumped into once, being a 3 phase system - I actually had one bad "leg" once and found out that the one that was bad was the one that charges the battery - at least thats how it appeared.. I am only a back yard, highly electrically challenged type of person BUT - if what I am thinking is true and you have one bad leg of the stator it can really throw you some curves..

Places to start anyway..

Now I cant wait for the guru's to come and give us both some testing ideas so I can learn more right along with you Scope!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Oh, by the way Scope - CONGRATS on a successful ride - sounds like, other than a little bit of troubles, you got to see some AWESOME country!! :thumbsup:

Be GREAT to see some :photographing::photographing::photographing:'s of that ride my friend.. :big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks so much. I did buy a new battery. It was good to have the extra battery. I kept both charged at campground stops. Prior to buying the battery I was charging at fuel stops as needed. The service station at Old Faithful even let me spend the night in their outdoor service bays recharging one night. The guys there were extremely helpful.

Glacier Snow.jpg

The clutch action could get mushy at high altitudes with even the TINIEST of air bubbles in the system. Even excessive moisture will boil out some bubbles at high altitudes and temps encountered with a big climb. Fresh fluid and a good bleeding should take care of it.