IGNORED

Need Dimensions for clutch lever push rod

Motiv

I managed to loose the push rod for the clutch master cylinder.:8:

I can make one easily enough if someone can provide the dimensions, or better yet if you have a spare I will buy it.

It is part #3 in the link below.

Regards, Paul

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1999/ROYAL+STAR+VENTURE+-+XVZ13TFL/FRONT+MASTER+CYLINDER+2/parts.html

That is the easy part, I am more concerned about the area where it seals into the dust boot.

Any way you can simply use a caliper and measure the depth. If it is a bit long can file a few thousanths of the end a little at a time.

At the risk of having to rebuild mine, whats involved in getting to it and putting it back. It looks like maybe just remove the lever and it will pull right out. Is this right? If that's all I might attempt it today for you. Mine squeaks from time to time and I put a little white grease on it where the handle makes contact. and on pivot bolt

See if these pics will help you out. The reading are in MM

0618151144-web.jpg0618151144a-web.jpg0618151145-web.jpg0618151145a-web.jpg0618151146-web.jpg

To make it easy the thickness of the collar in middle is 2.10 With a little math you would have got there. LOL Hope this gets you going. You still got the brass piece that goes in the lever end the rod pushes on?

12:47- Jusst put mine back together. I didnt measure both sides of the rod for pics. But discovered the flat end that goes in the clutch handle is slightly smaller. It measures 4.87 diameter.

Edited by djh3
additional measurments

At the risk of having to rebuild mine, whats involved in getting to it and putting it back. It looks like maybe just remove the lever and it will pull right out. Is this right? If that's all I might attempt it today for you. Mine squeaks from time to time and I put a little white grease on it where the handle makes contact. and on pivot bolt

I thought the last time I had it out the ball end went into the M/C, I'll have to look at that exploded view again.

The hardest part is getting the dust seal back around the rod.

Thanks a bunch for the pics, very helpful!!!:superman:

Regards, Paul

Yea ball end goes on reservoir side.

But discovered the flat end that goes in the clutch handle Flat end goes into the brass bushing thing on lever.
Sorry if got that turned around. Dust seal, way I put it back together was pull rubber seal out. Put around rod, push rod into position then used a small flat tip (electronics type we called them 7 level) screw driver to push seal back in.

Actually a bit shorter to get the friction zone closer to the handebars.

I did this previously to the one I lost, it was perfect then the other day I put the bike in 1st on a high idle and the bike wanted to creep forward with the clutch fully depressed. Reservoir is full of fluid, I wonder if that is sign of clutch woes to come. Bike has 39 K miles on it, when do you guys service the clutches on these things?

I welded a little bead on the end (lever side) where I ground about 2 mm off previously, that is when I lost the darned thing.

This works well to move the friction zone back if you have short fingers but you may need to add a small spring over the push rod to bring the clutch lever back onto the limit switch to keep the cruise control engaged.

AH yea didnt even think about the switch for the cruise. On the clutch replacement/freshen I dont know. I have 38k+ on mine and clutch is fine. I think the thing most guys do is either change just the pressure plate or add the "half disk" or whatever its called. Stiffer springs I think is what most guys do. Gives better clamp power. Skydoc is the fellow to ask.