IGNORED

Carb Help on a KZ1000 Police

ToyOdie

A friend of mine just picked up a 1996 KZ 1000p (Police) that has been sitting for several years. He wants me to do some carb work. It will start and idle but when you try to advance the throttle it dies. I suspect that the jets are clogged. I want to remove the carbs and give them a proper cleaning and rebuild. I've removed and rebuilt the carbs on both of my Royal Stars and a Road Star all with no problems. Has anyone worked on one of these that can give me insight to issues I might run into? I posted on the kawasakimotorcycle.org site with no response so I thought I would come back to the experts. I'm also looking for an "Online" .pdf service manual I can download. I have searched and can't seem to find one. Anyone have a link? Thanks for your help.

Oh yea,,, the biggest and hardest part of the whole job is getting the carbs off the bike!! Cant remember if the 1000's had a removable subframe - if so, remove it cause it will make the job a LOT easier.. Use a heat gun (cheap at Harbor Freight) to soften the rubber boot between the airbox and carbs, when reinstalling - soak it in HOT water when ready to reinstall. Those carbs will be on a rack, after you get the airbox out of the way - the easiest way to remove the carb bank is to take a 2x4 and tie wrap it across the face of the carb throats, then work the 2x4 back and forth while pulling away from the motor. From there its normal carb cleaning procedures..

Another method I have used successfully many times is what I call a Puc quick clean. I used to charge 300 bucks for doing what your about to do, after having been successful in one of my science experiments I started offering to do the job for 25 bucks by:

Draining the bowls, injecting Chem Clean into the bowls thru the drains, fill till the Chem Clean comes out of the tops of the mains into the carb throat, do all four carbs, let sit for 45 minutes, drain cleaner out, reinject with normal carb cleaners, swish it around by moving it in and with a syringe, drain carb cleaner, repeat with gas a couple times. I did a LOT of carbs for folks with this home brew weird invention and was successful 95 per cent of the time and only ended up actually having to open the carbs up a few times for cleaning cause the Chem Clean didnt clean the jets good enough BUT, I always told folks that chose for me to go ahead and do what I am talking about that in all actuality, if it didnt work the carbs would have had to come apart anyway so they were only risking 25 bucks..

Another thing you will want to check VERY CAREFULLY is for tank rust.. Take your finger and stick it in the tank, curl it so you rub the inside top of tank, look at the end of your finger and if it has rust on it, do the tank along with the carbs cause NO filter will remove those tiny little particles that will cause you problems!!

KNow it aint much but thats all I know - brains empty.. Hope it helps somehow though, best of luck in getting that KZ up and going!! :thumbsup: