IGNORED

Front Fork Equalizer

I always wanted to get a set up to balance the air pressures of the 2ndGen front fork like the set up on the 1stGen, and probably would have picked up one of those made by Progressive but they've been discontinued for quite a while. I also thought some sort of shock equalizer would work on the Voyager Kit since having the pressure and rebound on both shocks would be better than the independent shocks on there now. So...here's where it gets interesting.... I picked up a set of Harley 13" air shocks off eBay complete with the 2 into one air line connections. Should do the job on the Voyager. Then the light bulb went on. What if I could take the connector air line kit, remove the front fork Schrader's, and put the Harley set up in the Schrader openings of the front forks?? The only problem could be the thread size of the Schrader openings being compatible. They even have newer sets with a right angle fitting. If this works it could be a definite plus for 2ndGen cornering.... Anyone know if the Schrader's are pretty much standardized world wide???

I believe that "Schraeder Valves" are all pretty much a standard size. The only difference between them that I remember is that there is a HIGH pressure (marked on the top of the stem with an 'H'), and a low pressure stem. This one does NOT have the H punched on the top. Other than that, I believe most all Schraeder valves are compatible. I could be wrong. Happy experimenting!

:7_6_3[1]:squawk7500

I was thinking of drilling and tapping 1/8" pipe thread holes in the caps and installing swagelock fittings with stainless tubing in between . Then I was gonna remove one of the Schrader valve bodies and install a 0 to 10 psi gauge in there for monitoring the pressure. But riding season came upon us so maybe next winter.

i have had it on my 99 rsv for almost 3 years now i took the valves out got 2 metal valve caps and some plastic pipe from a set of pump up car shocks they have a t piece with a valve i put the air hose through the metal valve caps with o rings on the inside screw the metal caps on the o rings compress and hold the airlines put the t piece where i can get to it easily with the pump all up cost nothing and works great. i will take some picks tomorrow and put them up it is very easy. :sun:

IMG_3514.jpgIMG_3515.jpgIMG_3517.jpgIMG_3518.jpg

on the second image you can see i have fitted a small piece of brass rod where the schrader valve was i just fits in without damaging the valve thread just to give a flat surface for the o ring to press against when you tighten the metal valve cap it squashes the o ring and seals it off . the t piece is plastic but you can get brass ones .all this came from an old set of pump up car shocks you get the same hoses and t piece from a set of air bags. i run 7psi the hose and fittings from shocks usually run at 60psi so no problem with pressure you could use the pipe and fittings from an old oil pressure gauge the t piece should be from any car parts store. as i run a sidecar i can't say about the twisties but it is good only having to put air into one point and you know that they are both the same [all fittings are just finger tight]

Edited by k9cottage

You did good. Thanks for the pics. Plus the price was right.. :-)

Here are a couple of pics of the Harley air fittings. The only question would be if the brass Harley fitting has the same threads as those in the Venture fork??

2015-06-13 18.16.16 (Medium).jpg

2015-06-13 18.17.20 (Medium).jpg

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know if the Brass fittings in the fork cap are REMOVABLE?? As with a lot of parts (thermostats , bearings, oil filters, fittings) they are standard and used for other applications besides motorcycles, i would think that the part that threads into the fork cap(if it is removable) would be a standard thread pitch.

4 bikes.jpg