IGNORED

1986 ign advance vacuum source?

I'm looking at swapping an 86 harness and components on to my 83 (this winter, not this riding season:)).

My understanding is the vacuum sensor point for the advance is different between 83 and 84+.

Can someone take a pic of the vacuum source point on an 86 please?

I need to determine if I can even find a proper vacuum point on my 83 to work the 86 electronics properly....

Ah, it seems I might have found my own answer : http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?95609-Will-85-carbs-work-on-a-83&p=893027#post893027

Seems if I use the 86 harness, all I have to do is cap the carb vacuum point and run the line to the balance port for the proper vacuum signal.

Why is it that you can search and search and search and find nothing but as soon as you ask a question you find the answer?

lol!

Edited by Great White

Ah, it seems I might have found my own answer : http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?95609-Will-85-carbs-work-on-a-83&p=893027#post893027

Seems if I use the 86 harness, all I have to do is cap the carb vacuum point and run the line to the balance port for the proper vacuum signal.....

That is correct.

But the 1983 TCI needs the vacuum source from the carb (above the butterfly) to work properly. If you change the vacuum source, you will have to change the TCI to a 41R series.

That is correct.

But the 1983 TCI needs the vacuum source from the carb (above the butterfly) to work properly. If you change the vacuum source, you will have to change the TCI to a 41R series.

Yup, that's the plan.

I'm looking to install venture cruise and CLASS on my 83. I'm contemplating just swapping all the electrical components and wiring from the 86 I stripped for parts. The 86 has CLASS and Venture Cruise, which would make it pretty much an OEM install and allow me to use OEM replacement parts.

Doesn't hurt that the 41R TCI is a bit more common than the 26H if I ever go looking for a replacement piece.....

Are you saying that "The Pile" you got included a TCI? If that is the case, you don't have much to complain about on the bike you bought. These TCI's are getting more pricy everyday on ebay. I have a 41R series TCI on my 83 and all I did was just move the vacuum hose from the carb to the inlet port on the manifold.

Randy

Seems if I use the 86 harness, all I have to do is cap the carb vacuum point and run the line to the balance port for the proper vacuum signal.

Why is it that you can search and search and search and find nothing but as soon as you ask a question you find the answer?

lol!

Well, as you are the ONLY one EVER to have committed this atrocious act on ANY forum, I am sure the Forum gods' vengeance will be swift and cruel in the extreme!!

:rotf: :yikes: :stickpoke: :crackup::happy65: :canada::canada:

(I think I'm up to 4 of these already myself...)

Edited by flyday58
added P.S.

Are you saying that "The Pile" you got included a TCI? If that is the case, you don't have much to complain about on the bike you bought. These TCI's are getting more pricy everyday on ebay. I have a 41R series TCI on my 83 and all I did was just move the vacuum hose from the carb to the inlet port on the manifold.

Randy

yup, all the electrical bits except what was bolted to the engine itself.

Whether or not it's any good remains to be seen.....