IGNORED

drive line adjustments?

Recently pulled the diff out of the u joint to lube it. After reassembly, i'm getting a lot of driveline whine when backing off the throttle, around 45 mph or higher. I know there is gonna be SOME whine, but this is louder than before Is there An adjustment I didn't know about after or during reinstallation of the shaft into the u joint? It went back in with very little trouble and the 4 bolts attaching it tightened and torque down nicely. By the way, the bike is a 1986 Venture Royale with about 60k. Should the rear wheel be off or on the bike when making the final torque?

Edited by diversity48

Hmmm. Did you follow the alignment procedure when you put the pumpkin back on? It's nothing more than putting the axle back to the swing arm through the pumpkin...attaching the 4 nuts to the pumpkin...snugging them up, then pulling the axle out. Then go ahead and put the wheel back on? Did you grease the driveline splines Before putting the wheel on?

Or did you do this with wheel on?

thinking out loud here...

david

well, I didn't do it quite like that. after reassembling and then noticing the problem, I only partially disassembled it. left the wheel on, loosened the main axle nut, then loosened the pinch bolt, then loosened the 4 acorn nuts, tightened the pinch bolt, tightened the axle nut somewhat, but just with pressure, not torqued. then I tightened the acorns and torqued them, then tightened the axle the rest of the way with torque. I greased the end of the shaft that goes into the u joint...not the other end that goes into the pumpkin, and I had the wheel off for this procedure. Took a short ride, only a couple of miles.The whine seems quieter, although I think I need to ride it long enough to get it warm to see if it's acceptable. I had some whine before, but thought the moly paste on the input end of the shaft would have quieted that down. I read this procedure on another web site and thought it would be worth a try, obviously trying to avoid a complete disassembly if I could. If this doesn't do it, or if the sound keeps getting louder, then I suppose a more complete teardown is in order.

Thanks, david, for your suggestion. If I have to start over, I will use that procedure.