IGNORED

Replaced rear master cylinder today

Eck

I have had problems with my rear brake dragging and locking up. Decided to purchase the rear master cylinder and install it myself instead of having to leave my bike at the Honda dealer for a couple weeks for them to do it under the open recall they have on all Goldwings.

Price of the new rear master cylinder including shipping was $58.86 = one day job!!

Not a real hard job at all. Disassembly was easier than reassembly I can tell you. I di-sected the old stock rear master cylinder and found the piston to be out of spec in diameter by 0.003' to 0.005". and I can see many signs of wear/ chaffing in the bore and on the piston.

I also learned a few tricks to install the new assembly due to a lack of space between the frame and a lower water return hose.

One Example: The "angle" of the brake rod that goes thru the frame to the brake peddle/arm does not want to line up with the hole in the frame during reinstall. I had to use a wire bent in a hook shape and hook the wire under the end brake rod and then pull upward on it to align it with hole in frame as I was also using a screwdriver to push the rod into and thru the frame. No space for your finger or hand to get in there at all..

Another example was trying to reattach the return spring. A small task but again, but I learned you must tie a string to the small spring BEFORE you attempt to install it or it will end up in lah-lah land under the engine somewhere. I was able to use a magnet to find mine and pull it back out luckily.

If anyone attempts to remove the stock rear master cylinder and install a new rear master cylinder feel free to contact me for help.

I can now stop on a dime and give you nine and a half cents in change.. WOW do my brakes work great... I am really satisfied.