IGNORED

Auto cancelling turn signals?

How does the auto cancelling turn signal work, is the timer in the flasher, or computer? I suspect the computer, since the owner's manual states that the timer stops when the wheels stop turning.

Is there a way to increase the time they stay on?

Dan

The auto cancel is tripped by distance traveled after the signal is turned on, that is why the time stops when the bike stops.

I am not aware of any way to increase the time they stay on. I was always in the habit of tripping the signal back on if I traveled any sort of distance before turning, to keep the signal flashing.

You did not specify what year bike. The 83VR manual states 10 seconds or 150 meters (490 feet), whichever is GREATER.

It works by starting a timer and pulse counter when turn is first turned on. Using reed switch on speedometer for counter signal.

If turn on flasher and go, 140m counter will run out first, and 10 seconds will be last limit to determine time flasher is on. If turn on and you stop(at light), 10 sec will run out first, and flasher will remain on until 150m traveled.

The 83 has a separate special timer relay/flasher. I modified mine here. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?63802-Here-is-my-modified-turn-signal-flasher 84 up has the special timer relay circuit built into the 41R starter cutout relay assembly

Ooh sorry, it is a 2nd generation. 07 RSVT. I think it may be computer controlled, the manual states it is on a timer, that stops when the wheel sensor stops.

Two reasons for the question: I'l like to increase the time a bit, it seems the signal always turns off a few seconds too early. And also, I am planning to replace running lights / turn signals with LED, and am changing the flasher so it blinks properly with low load.