IGNORED

New AGM Battery Died

GolfVenture

Back in 2012 while I was away for the summer recovering from my M/C accident, my place got hit by lighting. Took out a lot of electricial items. It took a while to check all the appliances but the battery maintainer and the battery died The insurance cover everything I asked for including a new AGM battery. Well in the 2.5 years the new AGM battery never got used but I had it on the new maintainer all this time. Finally got my 89 VR carbs fixed and the AGM battery could barely turn the engine over even after a 24 hour charge. I had the origional battery from my wrecked 91 VR on the maintainer also and it fires the 89VR quickly.

I bought the AGM from O'Reilys, took the receipt and they said that the battery warantee is only for 12 months. The battery cost $100.

I know that AGMs are liked in this group.

Besides possibly a bad battery any thoughts?

Probably not much help G&V other than to tell you I had pretty much the same experience thru the years.. I decided to just stay with cheapy Walmart stuff (been 3 or 4 years since I needed one so I really dont even know if Wally World still carries em) - the one that comes with acid you add - and than just replace the battery when it dies.. In all these years I did have one Wally battery get weak on an out of town trip - stopped at a Wally World out west and they handed me a new one..

If your old battery will crank the bike right up that kind of shows the starter aint draggin,, maybe make sure the AGM bat posts are good and clean and the cables on the scoot are good and clean, put it in the bike and start it with cables off the old battery to help it start. Let the scoot run, check voltage output at the battery with an ohm meter - see if its showing 13.8 volts so you know the stator/regulator is doing its thing.. Watch the headlight when you rev it a little and see if it perks a little.. Ride it around the block for 15 minutes and see if the battery takes a charge.. If it doesnt and the bikes charge system is working good, either buy a new battery or use the one out of the wrecked one (thats the one I would use - just make sure the cells are all full if its a wet cell)..