IGNORED

Carb Throttle Cable Which is Which?

I installed the 2 throttle cables. I put the one with the 2 led thing-a-m-gigs on the outside and the one with only 1 thing-a-m-gig inside cable housing. The handlebar throttle grip now works backwards.

So before I attempt to switch them I want to make sure that switching them is the correct thing to do.

One should be threaded with a lock nut to hold it in and the other a tang that a screw goes into to hold them into the grip housing. Can't mix them up. On the other hand, at the carb end they have very similar ends. Switch them at the carbs.

Switching them at the carbs is not possible due to different barrel clamps on the end of cables that attach to the throttle linkages.

What may be incorrect is the way the throttle cables are assembled at the junction block where the cruise control ties in. These all have similar ends and could be mis-assembled.

Attached picture from parts fiche shows upper cables to junction box, all I could find that is useful.

Gary

throotle cable 1.jpg

1st picture is from an 88 that I got from MiCarl that now partially lives in Tweety. Shows connections at throttle.

2nd picture shows that exiting throttle junction block, that cable to carbs that has in line adjuster is on top.

Based on this post and previous one, you should be able to determine correct configuration of cables.

Gary

PICT5003.jpg

4-4-2015 1-22-43 PM.jpg

My ? was meant for at the card end. It is not at the throttle nor the junction for they were not disassembled. The cables came off the carb end. 1 cable has 2 round lead things to hook onto the carb linkage and the other has 1 lead round thing to hook onto the carb linkage.

I had the one with 2 lead thing on the more towards the left outside and the other one just to the inside of the other one. My throttle worked backwards. Guess the only thing to do is to switch the cable linkage hook up so the single lead cable is to the more left outside and the 2 lead cable it just to the inside or towards the center of the carb.

Need to get new tabs and insurance first...

Edited by Golf&Venture

Switching them at the carbs is not possible due to different barrel clamps on the end of cables that attach to the throttle linkages.

What may be incorrect is the way the throttle cables are assembled at the junction block where the cruise control ties in. These all have similar ends and could be mis-assembled.

Attached picture from parts fiche shows upper cables to junction box, all I could find that is useful.

Gary

I didn't realize there was a junction block. Thanks for the correction.

Got my 89 VR back together with the carbs from my 91 VR last night ... choked it and it runs... finally after nearly 3 years since my wrecked...I've been agonizing over pulling the carbs for I was told that the left fairing had to be dismantled to get the carbs off...And I just wasn't up to it...It was probably a good thing for my left hand, after 4 surguries, probably wasn't really up to it the 1st 2 years...

I have a few minor things like putting a new front left caliper on for one of the main bolts stripped out the receiving threads. Tighten some of the hanging accessories...And I will be "Back In The Saddle Again"..

Sky_doc sent me a procedure on getting the carbs off without taking off the left fairing...I was able to improve the process...I think I can get the carbs out in about 30 minutes starting from taking the seat off to just before taking the cables off.

Gary

I must be pretty good at doing the impossible, for I had no problems installing the carbs reversed. The throttle worked backwards just great...:-)