IGNORED

Secondary Master Cylinder - rebuild attempt

Eck

For those of you with Goldwing 1800's...If you have never seen the inside guts of the secondary master cylinder, I would like to share a few pictures with you and list the tools needed to take one apart in the case you ever attempt to rebuild one yourself.

First off, the listed tools below are the tools you will need AFTER the secondary master has been removed from the bike.

Tools needed are:

8mm socket / with ratchet

12mm socket. with ratchet

small "needle type" snap ring pliers

brake cleaner - spray

safety glasses

rags..

The below attached pics can be used as a drawing for as I removed a part, I laid it out on a clean rag creating a "drawing" (if you will) of all the parts that are inside the secondary master cylinder.

The bore of the cylinder (on mine), appears to be in very good shape, smoothe, no pits of deterioration and shinny.

I still used 1200 grit sand paper and rolled it up in a tube shape, inserted it and spun it around using brake cleaner as I worked it to ensure the bore was smoothe

Notice the deterioration of the rubber plunger/ piston that I am holding in pic # 1985. The rubber "edge" is deformed.. and this deformation (in my opinion) is where I was loosing very little to no brake fluid yet air was getting into the rear brake system for the last year on my bike. I could never see where I was loosing fluid, yet I continually was getting air into the rear brake system.

Luckily, I happen to have another secondary master cylinder hanging on my wall ready for installation (which I did install). Being I have the old secondary on my work bench, I decided to take it apart and order the rebuilt kit for it so that I can have it hanging on the wall if I ever need one again...or if one of you ever need one I could send you this one and you can send me your bad one and pat for the postage and rebuild kit...(always thinking)

Anyway, check out the pics of what your secondary master inside looks like...any questions, feel free to ask. I would be happy to help you with yours.

HPIM1982.jpg

HPIM1983.jpg

HPIM1984.jpg

HPIM1985.jpg

HPIM1986.jpg

HPIM1987.jpg

HPIM1988.jpg

HPIM1989.jpg