IGNORED

Carb Slide Mods for vacuum bleed? Any tips? Gen II

A sluggish return is more likely due to sticky friction. Check the slide bore for smoothness, and both the slide and bore for varnish buildup that can be gently removed with a mild solvent. The slides should move smartly without slamming closed, but close easily/softly.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Pete,

I had the carb bodies in an ultrasonic cleaner when I built them. I did not do much to the slides as far as cleaning because they are $150 each and I did not want to ruin them. I will focus on hand cleaning the slides and re-examining the bores when I do that. They don't always stick but if you push them up with your finger, sometimes one or two seem to want to hang. I don't know if with the vibration of a running engine if that issue may be a non issue or not?

Thanks,

schemer

1999 RSV black plastic 1-piece carb slides. Are there any mods for the hole size (drill larger) for the bleed off for sluggish returning slides?

Thanks,

schemer

Drilling the vacuum port in the end of the slide will not speed the return of the slide to closed. That vacuum port is not a "bleed" for returning slides, it is the port through which vacuum pulls the slides open.

Confirm that PAJ2 (Pilot Air Jet 2) is clear. Check the slide return springs for nominal and equal length. Clean the slides and their respective bores.

Carb Schematic.jpg

Drilling the vacuum port in the end of the slide will not speed the return of the slide to closed. That vacuum port is not a "bleed" for returning slides, it is the port through which vacuum pulls the slides open.

Confirm that PAJ2 (Pilot Air Jet 2) is clear. Check the slide return springs for nominal and equal length. Clean the slides and their respective bores.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98026[/ATTACH]

Thanks Keven,

I did not and won't drill anything. :) These are not my carbs and so far the parts prices are scary enough to rebuild them. I will double check that pilot are jet #2 but I am sure it is open. Do you know the size of the opening on the stub in the center of the bottom of the carbs right next to the main and pilot jets? There is a small diameter hole and although I can blow air thru it, I am not sure if I can poke a guitar string through it. In other words, what size is that hole supposed to be?

Thanks,

schemer