IGNORED

Alternative Zumo antenna/receiver :

BEER30

Hey guys , I might have found an alternative antenna/receiver for the zumo (XM only) for around $50.00 plus free shipping. I just ordered it after talking to the tech on which "Off the record" he believes we have a good chance that it will work . As it looks so far , this unit is for indoor use , but if we place it under the fairing or inside weatherproof compartment . We will also have to get an adaptor.extension to connect to zumo's base , as it has a right angle connection . I found one of them and if I remember correctly , they run $18.00 . Even if you have to buy 2 of these , 1 for scoot and 1 for cage , it is still cheaper than the GXM 30 Garmins offers for over $200.00 .

It should be here in a few days to where I will attempt to see if it works and pass the news along here and to the tech at where I purchased it . If it doesn't work , the tech said I could return with no problems and if it does work , along with a reveiw/report directly to him , he will consider a group discount for the forum members interested .

Until then ,

Gene

Gene, please let me know how you make out with the alternate antenna. I have someone interested in the Zumo.

I thought the garmin puck was not only an antenna but the reciever as well for the XM radio.

Question, questions and still more questions :confused07:

Hopefully the antenna/receiver will come tomorrow . I know actually ditto about XM and have no subscription . The tech told me XM has a free trial with 5 stations to test the unit with . As soon as I find out , I will post .

Gene

Received the antenna/receiver today . I went to connect the pieces together and the mini usb connection was the wrong type . I will call the tech Monday to see if there is an adapter . Still have hope for this !

Gene

I'm still on the trail on this . I spoke to the tech to tell him that the usb ends do not match . He is looking into this as well as getting a Zumo himself to see first hand . He also said that he will be checking into dealer pricing on the GXM30 antenna , to see what kinda deal we may possibly get. He has my contact info. and will call me as soon as he comes to a conclusion .

I also called on the two links you provided . One was not really interested and the other did not really know what to do, but did listen in hopes to help.

Gene

• 8 months later...

Gene I'm also watching this post to see the outcome. I would add the XM to my Zumo but I think the antenna/receiver is a bit to expensive just to listen to XM. I'll just use the MP3 player function of the Zumo for the time being, but I would add XM for a reasonable price. Thanks for looking into this for us and keep us posted.

I'm still on the trail on this . I spoke to the tech to tell him that the usb ends do not match . He is looking into this as well as getting a Zumo himself to see first hand . He also said that he will be checking into dealer pricing on the GXM30 antenna , to see what kinda deal we may possibly get. He has my contact info. and will call me as soon as he comes to a conclusion .

I also called on the two links you provided . One was not really interested and the other did not really know what to do, but did listen in hopes to help.

Gene

Very interesting, I too would be interested in knowing how you make out with the antenna.

Here’s one for you, try doing a Google search for ‘XM promo code’. Looks like there may be some deals there too... every little bit helps!

Good luck!

Kinda put it on the back burner there for awhile there guys , as other more important things came about . But I just called my tech guy whom is returning back from VA and will stop by in a few hours to take a look see at what we are trying to accomplish . My 2nd cuz who works for Garmin has been out of country working on airline GPS stuff and had not heard back from him in quite some time .

Gene

Guest driscollms

Gene, I hope you are right. However, there is more to the Garmin "antenna" than first appears. This is actually the receiver and antenna. The antenna has a unit ID number (like other XM receivers) that is needed to activate the signal. Apparently the Zumo has little more than the software to interface with the antenna. How do I know...well I have one. The Zumo immediately recognized the antenna/receiver. I had to imput the ID number on the XM website for the unit to become active. I hope this helps. I will follow the thread to see how things turn out but the Zumo isn't the piece of equipment that is registered with XM, it is the antenna.

Mark

Hey guys , I might have found an alternative antenna/receiver for the zumo (XM only) for around $50.00 plus free shipping. I just ordered it after talking to the tech on which "Off the record" he believes we have a good chance that it will work . As it looks so far , this unit is for indoor use , but if we place it under the fairing or inside weatherproof compartment . We will also have to get an adaptor.extension to connect to zumo's base , as it has a right angle connection . I found one of them and if I remember correctly , they run $18.00 . Even if you have to buy 2 of these , 1 for scoot and 1 for cage , it is still cheaper than the GXM 30 Garmins offers for over $200.00 .

It should be here in a few days to where I will attempt to see if it works and pass the news along here and to the tech at where I purchased it . If it doesn't work , the tech said I could return with no problems and if it does work , along with a reveiw/report directly to him , he will consider a group discount for the forum members interested .

Until then ,

Gene

Mark ,

What I have in possesion is the XM Mini-Tuner CNP-2000H . From what I understand , it is the receiver and antenna for home compatiable units . There is a car docking version of it as well. The XM Mini-Tuner is what requires the subscription , just plug it into the docking station and loop it through the Zumo's controls . The Mini-Tuner has the XM Radio ID . Just that I have to find a Mini-B male to a B Female connection , plus the right angle extension cable . Finding a Mini-B to a B Female is the issue . My eyes are getting too tired to solder something that small , as fine as these wires are .

Gene

Guest driscollms

Ok, I didn't realize you were refering to the Mini-Tuner. It will be interesting to see if this works.

Mark

Mark ,

What I have in possesion is the XM Mini-Tuner CNP-2000H . From what I understand , it is the receiver and antenna for home compatiable units . There is a car docking version of it as well. The XM Mini-Tuner is what requires the subscription , just plug it into the docking station and loop it through the Zumo's controls . The Mini-Tuner has the XM Radio ID . Just that I have to find a Mini-B male to a B Female connection , plus the right angle extension cable . Finding a Mini-B to a B Female is the issue . My eyes are getting too tired to solder something that small , as fine as these wires are .

Gene

Can you get the navtraffic and weather on it? Is it weather proof?

That's a good question ! Water-proof , I doubt it . But I plan on mounting the antenna in the fairing or stretch a condom over it .

Honestly I do not know . I personally am not interested in the navtraffic , I can drive the shoulder of the road if needed :rotf::rotf: . Weather , I just figured I would tune into a local station or veiw it on the Weather Channel before a trip or at a motel room during a trip . Ttruck stop cafes usually have the weather channel going , so periodly stops could inform me . But if ya ride with Muffinman , it's sun shiney all the way .

I just got back from my tech's shop , ordered the adapters and still need to order the Zumo GXM30 right angle extension , where they are everywhere and not hard to get . Now it's time to waite till the items come in and start testing .

Gene

I saw on another site where a guy bought the Garmin 376C instead of the Zumo 550 and it has some great weather displays -- with road overlays where you could see the route to take to avoid the weather. I think he pays 30 bucks a month for the weather service though.

Under marine but has an auto kit and comes with the antenna. Check out the weather displays.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=325&locale=en_US

See real-time weather on the 376C's high-resolution TFT with the included GXM 30 XM antenna and a subscription to XM Satellite Weather and Radio services. View vital weather data, including NEXRAD radar, storm cells, wind speeds, surface temperatures, forecasts and more than a dozen other weather attributes, so you can enjoy the water without worrying about the weather. You can also subscribe to XM Satellite Radio to receive over 100 channels of commercial-free music, sports, news and talk radio.

AAAAH , I think I will save my 30 Bucks a month , use my nation wide free long distance cellphone plan , call my wife and tell her to flip over to the Weather Channel and give me a report . Unless my job wants to pay for the plan , I'll pass on that . Save the money for more gas and tires .

Gene