IGNORED

Motorvation 'Back Pack'

Prairiehammer

I recently obtained a circa 1990 Motorvation cargo trailer (thanks Rick Haywood).

The suspension requires replacement (Broken torsion arm). The original suspension is a UCF Flexiride FR425 torsion suspension. The manufacturer (UCF America) of Flexiride torsion suspensions will not deal direct with the consumer. One of their authorized distributors (Southwest Wheel) offers the FR425, but are wanting $300± for a pair of the half axles. I am very hesitant to drop that much dinero when there other comparable torsion axles available for half the price. But, the other cheaper axles are not a direct bolt-on (that point is important, since this particular Motorvation has no external frame. The 'frame' consists of a steel plate imbedded in the fiberglass body and drilled for the FR425 bolt pattern.) Also, the original Motorvation used 425# torsion axles vs. the common 500# torsion axles offered. And the FR425 has an adjustable arm. This allows the owner to adjust the ride height and start angle for the suspension. It appears all the 500# axles have a fixed start angle with the resultant very high ride height.

So, my question to others: anyone know where to obtain new or good used Flexiride FR425 torsion half axles? Thanks.

Have you tried to contact Motorvation. They are a most accommodating group when it comes to providing information and parts. My sidecar was fabricated in 1986 and they still had the original build specs and shipping documents on file; made copies and sent them FOC.

Yes, I have contacted Motorvation three times, once via email (no response) and twice by telephone. I spoke with 'Gary' both times and he said he would send me information. I waited for more than two weeks without result. I followed up with another fonecon with Gary. That last conversation was more than a week ago and I have yet to receive any information about availability or pricing.

Do you have another, different contact person, that I may try to get the information?

Thank you, Les.

I have spoken with Mary, who I believe is the owner, and Gary, who I believe does everything technical. Honestly, I have gained the impression that there are not too many people involved in the day-to-day operations at Motorvation. I do not think Gary moves the paperwork as well as he prepares the hardware. I have waited for some replies longer than I had hoped but the information was good and all the parts that I have received have been spot on for fit and finish.

If you have a way to identify the trailer with a serial number or other specific information I'll bet that they have the original build information on file. My guess is that with so few people doing so many things that only the things that are on fire get a lot of attention. Good luck with your endeavor, I am sure that they will come through.