IGNORED

Windshield mounting holes cracked

Ok, I've searched, but all I could find were threads about cracked windshield mounts (on the fairing, not the windshield itself) for the 2nd gen. I need help with the actual clear plastic windshield on the 1st gens. The mounting holes are cracked and I am wondering what glue/adhesive/epoxy would work best for repair, and maybe applying a fiberglass strip to reinforce the area. Are the windshields (OEM) acrylic or what type of plastic?

This is from my parts bike, I am cutting it down to find a better height as my current one is too tall, I can't see over it and the morning & evening sun just causes a bad glare. But most of the holes are cracked and I don't want it flying off at speed. Oh, this windshield is in bad condition, which is why I don't have a problem cutting it down and experimenting on it.

Thanks,

Andrew

On my 1st gen the PO had actually cut the holes to be slots for sliding the shield in and out with out removing the screws. Now I am not a crazy fast rider but I have been on the I-5 south and more than kept time with traffic and never had an issue the shield coming off. Make sure the screws are tight is all.

To find a height to cut down to..... put bike on center stand sit on it... get comfy... wiggle around find your place. take your right hand out straight in line with your sight line.... touch the shield... mark it there.

I made a template from old Corn Flakes box... 2 pieces split in the middle..... mark the top of the shield..... slid it down to my mark... matched up the outer edges.... will leave you an inch or so in the center to free hand.

Cut with a fine tooth saber saw blade...... block sand the line smooth..... take a heat gun if you have one and heat the fresh cut and you will see it flow smooth.