IGNORED

front for rear

Let me know what everyone has found out about putting a front tire on the rear of my 86. It's a Dunlop 150/80-16 .

thanks guys and gals

IIRC, a '150' may not fit because of swingarm interference.

Did you get a deal on the 150/80-16 tire? And that's why you want to try to fit it on the rear?

The 150/80-16 is not going to have near the load rating of the recommended rear tire, either.

Edited by Prairiehammer

See my edit above, Angel. Especially about the load rating. Also note that the E3 has a higher load rating than a 404. The 150/18-16 front 404 has a load rating of 761 pounds and requires a 3.5" rim. Whereas, a Dunlop Elite 3 for our rear tires has a load rating of 930 pounds and is recommended for our 3" rims.

Geeze! Why don't you guys just get a room! :rotfl:

Seriously though, if you find a front tire that you like, you need to reverse the rotation. Front tires are made more for braking forces and rears are made for acceleration forces.

Front tires have much lower load ratings than rear tires and they also, size for size, have less rubber so they will wear out faster. It is common practice to put rears on the front but I have never seen anybody do it the other way around. Trikers especially are prone to do this for the extra rubber to steer with and longer tire life.