IGNORED

Transmission axle drive shaft snapped.

I just dropped this 86 1300 into my 84 about 3,100 miles ago. I ran into a little problem with my transmission a couple weeks back. When I was getting on her in second gear, it was like I went into neutral or missed a gear. Then it shifted all the way up into 5th but it didn't feel right. Then it wouldn't come out of 5th. I was able to limp it home stuck in high gear all the while is felt like it was stuck almost in gear and would slip out if I gave it to much throttle.

As I was taking it apart here's what I found:

Two friction discs without a clutch disc between. Either missing clutch disc or an extra friction disc?

A really sloppy weld job done to the end of the axle drive shaft for some odd reason.

It looks like that lovely weld job weakened the axle drive shaft and the shaft snapped. Apparently that's where all the noise was coming from.

I also found another broken piece. "CAM, DRIVEN" according to the microfiche.

Lucky for me, I have a couple spare engines sitting here. An 83 with a good second gear and a broken lower case, and an 84, (the original engine out of my bike), with second gear out. Which is why I dropped the 86 in there in the first place. I'm going to do some gear swapping to get both the 84 and the 86 back up to snuff. Now a couple of questions to help confirm my thoughts. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on anything. I'm trying to remember everything I've read and learned on this wonderful forum over the years. All the gears in the MKI & MKII are the same and interchangeable, right? Does anybody know the new part number for the upgraded washer that replaces the soft ones that were the root cause of the second gear problems in the MKI's? Is there anything I might be leaving out?

Also, I was doing a quick look on eBay for transmissions and such. I keep seeing people selling the middle gears separately. Aren't they installed as a pair? They should be a matched set just like a ring and pinion, shouldn't they?

Thanks for any input and/or advice.

Bill

A-1 I have an 86 parts bike that I rode 30mi before I started taking parts off

all worked good [clutch, carbs , ignitor box, coils ] looks like the worst thing wrong is real bad oil leaks at valve cover gaskets I sold all of the plastic and seat to Orlin and Mark after he hit the deer 2-3 months age not looking to get rich from it

call if interested

Gary

Mega2500

507-438-6658

Bought a Roadstar New in 08, The clutch Discs had the same arrangement. I wonder what is up with that? Do they do that intentionally or by mistake? I bought all new, did the Burnett and shimmed it with a special washer to gain total lock up. Put the Discs in the way I thought they should be, disc plate disc plate disc plate. No Plate plate. Works perfectly going on 40K miles with it like that.

I know nothing of first Gens, Sorta want one, but after reading some things sorta don't.