IGNORED

Help.Stuck valve shim bucket 86 VR Valve adjustment

Ok Neil..

The exhaust buckets that dont spin but require tapping are the ONLY ones the shim tool was utilized on.. cyl #1 ...(I checked Cyl#3 ...all spin freely).

I now see a depression in the aluminum head between the two exhaust buckets made by the shim tool....I probably overcranked the shim on the head!

At least at this point....one bucket rises to the correct height and travels up and down freely....the stuck bucket is better but not quite there yet but does return to the not quite there mark on every rotation...I may have put these two exhaust areas a bit "out of Round" in the slightest but most troublesome way.

I dont think Im at the point of cam removal. I will continue to try and get this stuck bucket to rise a bit more, IF i am at cam removal,,,,I might be done on this machine.

Hey man, don't give up!! I think you may have finally diagnosed the problem, so now you can fix it. See if you can take an emory board nail file and clean it up right where it's messed up at. Patience is the key. Do a little at a time. Take several breaks if that's what it takes. You can do this! And even if it comes to the point of removing a cam, there's plenty of folks on here that can guide you every step of the way. Just keep us posted.

Guys thanks a million.

I got a set of jewelers files at harbor freight ....broke a curved one in half so it would fit between the buckets where the aluminum was depressed and flattened and started filing...and filing and just for good measure filed some more.....now the bucket and shim are at their original height and go up and down freely. These 2 buckets don't spin like the rest but at this point I don't believe that will be an issue.

I now have 3 cylinders completed of the 4 and I've changed 9 shims so far. I've been very careful with the shim tool and have learned a lesson or two.

I want to thank all of you in my hour(days) of need...thought I was going to kick the bucket for a while there!

I took a 450 mile jaunt to KC and back and the bike ran as well as it did before my valve adjustment...all that worry...the valve covers don't leak a a speck, performance wise no difference ...mpg...nah i was doing 75-80 mph the whole way so 33-35 mpg is fine for this kind of speed. I didn't torque to specs on the covers but i think as long as you DONT OVERTIGHTEN you can fanangle it down. I don't recommend it but i tried to use a torque at the Oreillys but it wasn't cool. So we go another 26-30k on this....