IGNORED

I'm trying to go to the Darkside!

jurob

Pulled the wheel and installed the tire today, cannot get the bead to seat. It is so close on both sides, just won't go. Used a tire cage and went to 100 a few times and even 120 once. Would not go.

I've got 80 in it now and it's in my car hoping it will magically seat:)

Tonight I'm going to try a little ether and see if I can get it to seat.

If i can ever get it to seat I will get it balanced and see if the hype is legit or not.

It's a federal 165/80/15

Off the top of my head ove 80 PSI to seat is a no no.

The best way is use a Darkside approved tire, one thats been run on your type bike/rim/

Dismount your tire,

Polish the rim all around where the bead contacts it with a metal polish to make it smooth as silk. It should be really really smooth.

Then you get ready.

Have the Darkside tire sit in the sun for a few hours, like 11 to 2 PM to get it good and soft.

Put it on the rim.

Use a lube on the bead and rim, Go jo hand cleaner works good, of course the smooth kind no Pumice, Think that I had to mention that?

Then put the air to it.

I like to put it to it, until it seals, let it out and do that a few times to get the bead in the right spot and when it is all lined up.

Let it roll! I put like 50 in and let it sit and it normally seats up right there.

Polishing the rim is a real big key.

I have run Darkside for about 5 years and about 70K miles.

It is all what it is cracked up to be in tire length of service. You can change out the rear and put a rear on the front at the same time and see you in about 30K plus miles. BUT don't forget your Hub and other maintenence. You syill must do that on schedule.

It is a lot more traction, especially in winter , on gravel, grass, mud, and yes pavement.

It does not get up on the edge like people think it does. I you tubes video and saw that and I took my own video too.

After all I have run Darkside I can only think of one drawback. The difference in weight of the tire VS MC tire.

GOOBS of traction! After you get used to it you can ride it much differently, no skidding out on the rear, and it is fun to lock up on occasion and watch people looking for the Car skidding, if you add in a Stebel horn blast while skidding it really makes them wonder!

Break it in slow, play with air pressure and I mean letting it cool three hours and starting over. You'll find the sweet spot.

Andy,

Looks fantastic! Looks nothing like the bike I had.

Mike,

I'm going to try the starting fluid tommorow and if that doesn't work all do what you mentioned.

Tks

When we were all messing around with 4x4 ATV's a can of ether was a must. Heck, you could wipe as much of the mud off the rim as possible and POOF, inflated tire again.

Then sneak your buddies spare sweat shirt back into his gear back and off ya go.

I could never get it to completely seat. It was always in the same spot on the tire. Thought it was the tire so I tried it on a car rim and it seated at 15 lbs.

I did polish the rim with no luck and followed all other mentioned steps.

Gave up and ordered a tire mc tire yesterday because it's been sitting in the middle of my storage unit on a jack.

I will buy a used wheel in the next couple of weeks and play with it some more and try to get it mounted.

I've owned numerous bikes and this is the first one with a size that is darksideable. Ive wanted to give it a shot for years so hopefully I can get it done in the future.

I'm on my second Kuhmo. Both took about 110-120ish PSI to seat. I run a long extension hose with a clip-on inflator head off my inflator(the kind with the gauge and a push button) and then put the wheel outside while I stand inside the garage. Push the button and listen for the pop(1st bead)....pop(2nd bead).

A nice warm sunny day and lots of "goop" on the beads will help.

A bit of a "pucker factor" but it works.

Once you get it on, just keep in mind that it will feel a bit different (squishy?) at first. Run a couple hundred miles and you'll begin to forget it's a CT. I run in the low 30's-one up and go up a couple pounds if I'm 2up and/or trailering.

sp!ke

Edited by sp!ke

Jurob...

In all my many many miles and all 4 different types of tires that fit this bike, the Federal has been the worst to get to bead..

it has, however been my most top rated tire and my favorite, untill just a few months ago when I tried a Nankang..it is very much like the Federal in all aspects except I like the looks of the tread pattern better, but still a bi#ch to mount..

But anyway, that is not the reason for this post..

I have found that taking it to you local small time tire shop, those guys know how to fanagle that tire on the rim.. each time I have tried a new style I wait and think, this is going to be it, they wont get it this time, but, they do, they grease it down with that tire goo and vola..sometimes it takes a while, others are quick, but they always come through..so if you have a tire shop like that around.. give it a try...

as for the Tire pressure I think 30 is way to low .. 36 to 38 is much better...

Well second on the small time tire shop.

I had my darkside tire mounted I think it was a Goodyear radial TA off the top of my head anyways, the guy that does my work did have to put quite a bit more air in it than normal, we shines on it, we used goop, he was like put the air to it! And POP! one side and POP the other.

Seems fine to me, add 2.3 qzs of dyna beads and call it a day.

Spike what you running on the front and the pressure?

Not 100% sure whats on the front right now. Think it's a metz and its a mt90 (ie:130) as opposed to stock 150. I run 38 in the front.

Went with the mt90 cuz it has a higher load rating than the 130.

Might try doing the old "rear(mc tire) on the front" trick next time I need a front.

sp!ke