IGNORED

Exhaust pipe removal and installation

Exhaust pipe removal and installation on the left side of the bike. I found a post on here where someone asked how and what was needed to take the exhaust pipe off. He got several replies but no one ever explained the process. I have checked the shop (service) manual and I see how to take the left exhaust pipe off so unless there is a trick not shown in the shop manual that should not be a problem. Since I have never done this before do I need to replace the wahers that seal the exhaust between the engine and the exhaust pipe? There is nothing wrong with the exhaust pipe I just need to replace the rubber boot on the shifter where it connects and goes into the engine. It will make it easier to get to the shifter seal also so I can get that thing out.

Thanks,

Harry

they're cheap but we're cheaper. I have only removed the the right exhaust at the engine and loosened the collector connection. I pulled the pipe out several inches and turned it to the right to access thermostat. I had gaskets but did not use them and all is well. My2cents. Dave

they're cheap but we're cheaper. I have only removed the the right exhaust at the engine and loosened the collector connection. I pulled the pipe out several inches and turned it to the right to access thermostat. I had gaskets but did not use them and all is well. My2cents. Dave

Thanks Dave. I will have them if I need them but I will not use them unless I need too.:thumbsup2:

I wouldn't upset the exhaust if I could avoid it. The silencers are a tight fit onto quite weak stubs on the collector box and the collector boxes are hard to replace if the stubs are weakened and snap off. I would expect to replace the copper rings where the rear manifold section goes into the downpipe and the fron exhaust gaskets aren't too expensive if you buy aftermarket (though these are less critical).

I've never changed the ring on the gear lever shaft and wouldn't unless the leak was really quite bad.

I wouldn't upset the exhaust if I could avoid it. The silencers are a tight fit onto quite weak stubs on the collector box and the collector boxes are hard to replace if the stubs are weakened and snap off. I would expect to replace the copper rings where the rear manifold section goes into the downpipe and the fron exhaust gaskets aren't too expensive if you buy aftermarket (though these are less critical).

I've never changed the ring on the gear lever shaft and wouldn't unless the leak was really quite bad.

Thanks Greg,

I actually did not have to take the exhaust off. I was able to unbolt the exhaust about mid frame right after the two pipes come together. There was just enough play that when I pulled outward on the exhaust pipe the shifter linkage had just enough room to squeeze by.

The shifter seal is another story and I hope I never see another one.:yikes: