IGNORED

Where is this ground located?

83 VR

Look at any wiring schematic, their is a wire coming off the battery negative to ground... THIS ground is easily seen on the right side of the bike just above the water pump.. Coming off THAT ground wire (in the schematic) is a plug which goes to the ground wire for various components... Just past the plug is a ground to frame... WHERE IS THIS GROUND ON THE BIKE?

Thanks

On my '87, it originates from the neg batt cable as a smaller wire (12 ga?) piggybacked on the main ground, about 4 " from the battery it has a quick disconnect, but continues into the main harness and soon exits the harness to terminate at the coil mounting bracket, right behind the throttle cable cable junction box. On the left side of the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my '87, it originates from the neg batt cable as a smaller wire (12 ga?) piggybacked on the main ground, about 4 " from the battery it has a quick disconnect, but continues into the main harness and soon exits the harness to terminate at the coil mounting bracket, right behind the throttle cable cable junction box. On the left side of the frame.

That's what I needed to hear... Many thanks.. I'm having, what I think, are grounding issues and thought I better find it..

Thanks

NEW:

Battery

Stator

R/R

I realized I had a problem when my trickle charge took all day to charge what should have been a perfectly charged battery.

Stator and R/R checked with Ricks Motorsports on the phone.... Both checked good

I was going to Load test the battery, maybe today..

Issue:

Battery not charging

Stator putting out >50 VAC when DISCONNECTED

Stator putting out @ 13 VAC when connected AND dropping in voltage with RPD increase.

R/R putting out maybe 13.5 volts all times..

I've not found any undesired grounds yet. I still need to test the starter and ignition switch.

I'll get home @ 330 today and I plan on testing the starter and probably removing/disassemble/clean the ignition switch.

I've only just found this issue so my frustration level isn't high yet. Hopefully I can keep it their..

Any suggestions WOULD be appreciated..

You could set idle at 3000 rpm and check voltage across battery, then check from red to black on RR plug (each side) and see if you get much difference.

Long story short: I have a bad ground somewhere in my harness and wasn't getting full RR output to the battery.

My thread reply count is about 170 posts getting help on it. You'll get a lot of help on it.

I you have the time, read through my post. It's about the 4th one down in the First Gen tech talk.

You could set idle at 3000 rpm and check voltage across battery, then check from red to black on RR plug (each side) and see if you get much difference.

Long story short: I have a bad ground somewhere in my harness and wasn't getting full RR output to the battery.

My thread reply count is about 170 posts getting help on it. You'll get a lot of help on it.

I you have the time, read through my post. It's about the 4th one down in the First Gen tech talk.

Found your post... I'll read it today.. Thanks.

Without reading your post yet.. Did you solve your problem? If so, where did you find the problem?

Bad ground between RR and battery. Inconsistent system voltage was causing a host of problems. Battery, stator and RR were all good.

Currently running a jumper wire (14ga) straight from RR black wire to batt neg until I have time to trace the actual problem in the harness.

Her is a good place to start your search, laid out in a logical order.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81297

Yeah, I'm gonna have to get into this..

Bad ground between RR and battery. Inconsistent system voltage was causing a host of problems. Battery, stator and RR were all good.

Currently running a jumper wire (14ga) straight from RR black wire to batt neg until I have time to trace the actual problem in the harness.

Very interesting solution... I will keep this in mind.