IGNORED

Rebuilt clutch yesterday

I ordered the clutch spring kit from Skydoc along with the other clutch disk. He shipped them promptly and yesterday I installed the spring and new disk. It was easy after looking at the two write ups that were posted here with pictures. The clutch is much smoother going through the gears and there isn't any slippage now.

I am seriously thinking about it... My clutch doesn't slip but it feels "awkward". For a Memorial Day weekend my wife and I went to wild and wonderful West Virginia, 3 days and 990 miles of curvy hilly roads. We had a great time. However, almost every time I would shift it would kinda hesitate before engage the gear. We would go uphill and I would shift from second to third and crank it up - I would expect that the bike would pull full force and instead it felt like it's "struggling" a bit. Felt like not enough torque... I mean, it shifts and accelerate, just not with a full force/torque.

So I was wondering would the clutch upgrade help that. What was your experience prior to upgrade? Did you clutch slip completely or...? Any info would help.

And can you post the links with instructions how to do it, please? Easy enough? I'm not an expert, but I replaced mufflers, replaced leveling links etc... Thanks.

Hey Tisunac.

Prior to the upgrade if I was going full speed in 5th gear, 60 to 65 mph, and twisted the throttle the engine would rev up. Also, when I put the bike in first gear to take off when I let the clutch out there was a "clunk" noise and the bike was slow to start moving even after the clutch lever was all the way out. After the upgrade the clutch lever is stronger and when I let the lever out the bike takes off immediately and there isn't a clunk noise and when I shift gears there is no hesitation it it's much smoother when I shift. I have 66,000 miles on my 05 venture. I order the upgrade from skydoc who has his upgrade in the classified section of this site. I also went ahead and ordered the other clutch disc. I figured if I was going through the trouble to go into the clutch might as well replace all the disc. There are two write ups with pictures on here that give detailed instructions. You can find one at: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...barnett+clutch. This is for the barnett clutch but the steps are the same as any other clutch. The second is a write up by Tartan Terror. Do a search for clutch upgrade and it will list it under Freebird (5-25-07). I think this is the write up for using the upgrade from skydoc. I think an upgrade will solve your problem.

Tisunac, Your clutch may be fine. These V4 engines don't have the same power band as a V-Twin. In other words, you don't shift until a much higher RPM than a V-Twin.

I may be telling you something you already know, but.....

Take your bike out to a country road and crank it up. Get to 25 mph in 1st gear. 60 in second. 90 in third. Don't worry, there is a rev limiter so you can't hurt anything. Once you find the power band and shift accordingly, you won't lug the engine any more.

Now, if you are hearing the RPMs drop after you fully engage the clutch - like the clutch is slipping and then grabbing - then clutch work may be needed. Easy upgrade.

And yes, the mountain roads of West, by God, Virginia are wonderful to ride. One of my favorite places.

RR