IGNORED

2nd gear undercutting.

I was wondering if you can undercut worn gears.

I have a Venture 1200 '83. It engages the 2nd gear but on load it popes out.

I am on a budget. I can do most of the work myself.

And if the damage is not that big can I leave it at that or do I have to swap the forks as well.

PLease help.

Thanks

Yes, undercut is doable and worn gears that have the corner rounded off the dogs need to be brought back sharp. I did this about 15 years ago on mine and put 60,000 more miles on it before I picked up a 86 engine that I used the gears from.

Forks can be an issue as they get bent when the dogs are popping out and pushing against the forks. Transmissions pop up on ebay occasionally, especially 2nd gen transmissions.

If you get serious about this, lets us know and we can help you work through the details.

RandyA

I was wondering if you can undercut worn gears.

I have a Venture 1200 '83. It engages the 2nd gear but on load it popes out.

I am on a budget. I can do most of the work myself.

And if the damage is not that big can I leave it at that or do I have to swap the forks as well.

PLease help.

Thanks

Yes, to undercutting the engagement dogs, IF the dogs are not rounded too much. As Goose says, though, the worn thrust washer is the cause of popping out of second. The worn thrush washer allows the second gear to move laterally away from its mate, until the engagement dogs can't get a grip. Each time that happens the dog wears off the corner some more.

So, you MAY be able to reuse the second gear, depending on the amount of wear on the dogs. Undercutting will help, but it is not what is needed to FIX the problem.

The shift fork sometimes gets bent when second gear pops out, especially if the rider is using the gear shift lever to try and hold the second gear in engagement. Some folks have straightened a slightly bent shift fork, but there are no guarantees.

I did mine a couple of years ago with the help of MarCarl.. The most difficult part was getting the motor in and out.. You also need access to a press to get the split washer out of the shaft. Washer that needs to be replaced is cheap but you will need a gasket set to put her all together again.. while in there you will also want to check your valve clearances. So much easier to do on the bench.

Not a difficult job but time consuming. In my opinion very worth doing though.