IGNORED

What to expect if i use 42.5 pilot jets instead of 37.5?

Here's why i ask:

I have an 87 1300, with one boogered pilot jet (stripped head inside jet block).

So now I have 3 correctly sized pilot jets.

I do have a set of 1200 carbs with 42.5 jets I can use (just the pilot jets), if it doesn't kill my gas mileage or cause other problems.

I was really hoping to get the carbs back on this afternoon rather than order and wait on a new pilot jet.

Thoughts?

Well the Carb is tuned to the engine, the intake of Air and the Exhaust. Your dealing with the Gas distribution and atomization. So going to a larger pilot will change something. It will still run just not as precise. When dealing with adjustable parts in a carb small jumps are sometimes giant leaps.

If it was running right then, I'd wait for the right ones unless I am at a point where I changed something and have to retune anyways.

OH and I have had luck finding carb parts at different dealers, I have a Grizzly Accelerator Pump in my 1700 and some other parts from HONDA. So you may find your Pilot locally if you do some research cross reference and such.

Locally? Lol!

Sorry, not likely around here, but there is one atv shop that might surprise me. I'll check with them tomorrow.

What about the whole gang of 1200 carbs with their respective correct jets?

Wonder what that would do?

Uhhhhh...

yeah, and i just went through them in September and put them back on.. never finished the other tasks, therefore never put it on the road. This is what i got for it.

They're clean again, as is the tank, and new lines and new filter.

I'm anxious to try it out, as soon as I get that pilot jet and get it all back together.

as everyone knows Yamaha only had the 42.5 in '83...then they realized they got better overall performance with 37.5...when properly tuned. Get your bike on an EGA machine . I did...don't need 42.5. Using 37.5 the low speed screws only need 2.5 CCW +/- 1/2 turn.to get the proper CO. at all speeds below 3000rpm.no hesitation in any gear...EVER.