IGNORED

August planned trip to Somerset Ky area

Atoolnut

We are in the planning stages for a 10 day trip in Somerset KY.area the first week of August.....Acommodation is booked at Woodson Bend condos..I am looking for ideas on places to ride to..to avoid..to eat at and to avoid..any links to best riding roads would be appreciated..we like to ride 2-300 miles a day if we have to ..last year was the dragon and NC area..will the first week in August be bad for tourism in this area?Thanks for any info

Lots of places to ride on your way to Somerset and around there. if you are coming down or near the I75 corridor you'll pass through Lexington. A day cruising around the horse country is worthwhile and if you do, let me know and I'll show you around. Once in Somerset you should ride over to Cumberland Falls. There are other places to see. Let me think about it a bit and I'll get back to you.

Dennis

Some or all of the Bourbon Trail would be a must do if you are coming to the area.

If you enjoy history, the White Hall Shrine just south of Lexington is a very interesting tour for a couple of hours. Then you could stop over at Fort Boonesboro and the Henry Clay home in Lexington.

As said before, the Red River Gorge is fabulous and Natural Bridge is right there too.

Berea is a must stop for dinner at the Boone Tavern and then a visit to Church Hill Weavers for the lady on the trip. If you are a countyu music fan, you could stop at the Renfro Valley Music Center on your way from Berea to Somerset.

I keep my boat at Lake Cumberland in Jamestown, KY. This is at the west end of the lake from Somerset. Lot of nice roads to ride in the area. Jamestown Cafe is a great place to eat on the square in Jamestown. Farther west is Mammoth Cave State Park which has great tours of Mammoth Cave. Bowling Green, KY is home to the Corvette Museum.

Lee's Ford Marina Restaurant is pretty good. Don't miss out on the fried green beans appetizer.

192 from Somerset east. Stop at Bee Rock. Take some pictures at the bridge. Continuing on 192, then turn right at 312 and head toward Corbin. 25W then 90 will take you to Cumberland Falls. 90 west to 27 and back to Somerset. It's about 100 miles.

If you get to Cumberland Falls, consider Stearns KY and Blue Heron Mine.

I'm in Frakes KY, there are lots of great rides in the area.

I like to ride 190 to 90 to 25W through La Follette over I-75 to old TN 63 then 297 north to Jellico; back on 25W to Williamsburg then 90 back home.

Or go the other way in La Follette (left off 25W), find old 63 and go to 25E then Cumberland Gap. Ride up the the Pinnacle then back to 25E.

Then there's 988 to 217 to 987 to Martins Fork Lake, keep going on to 421 then back west to Harlan, 119 will take you back to 25W or stay on 421 to 9006 (Hal Rogers Parkway) back to Sumerset.

Some of these are real back roads. I'll be glad to guide you if you drop by. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out of the office.

• 5 months later...

Trip is soon here..thanks for info......looking for any updates re road conditions around somerset area...plans are...ride to Corbin for kfc..ride to mammoth caves...ride to Nashville..ride to rabbit hash...bourbon trail...plus rides already suggested areas..any roads in ky.that are usually gravel? State rd numbering means anything?.. .:cool10: