IGNORED

?s For Kubota Tractor Owners

GolfVenture

Looking for advise on ownership maintenance.

I bought a used Kobuta tractor/back hoe/front loader? It is 20 years old with 700 use hours. I've never owned one before but have operated a full size Case many years ago when I would visit my friend. So I basically played around with one. I've been living on 2 acres for the past 25 years and have done very little landscaping.

I've never owned a diesel engine. I do know that there are glow plugs that needs a few seconds depending on tempurature.

I'm thinking of many similiar motor storage issues.

1) Store tank full after use with fuel stablizer. For I may not know when I will use it next.

2) Plan to store it in one of my fully, enclosed, unheated, detached garage bays.

3) Keep the tire pressure up.

4) Follow routine maintenance

Plan on reading the manual from cover to cover carefully.

I can do average maintenance on most things I own.

Any advise is welcome.

Any common non expensive tool items I should consider?

A new toy! Awesome. I have owned tractors all my life. Since its enclosed one of the big problems is avoided...wasp nests but do watch for mice chewing wires, they don't seem to bother hydraulic hoses. You don't need to add fuel stabilizer to diesel it is good forever in a tractor engine, keep it full when not in use to lessen the space for condensation in the tank and you NEVER -EVER want to run out of fuel. Lower any hydraulic implements to take the pressure off, helps avoids leaks. If you are in cold country and you or the PO have added fluid to the rear tires for weight, change it to the newer rubber friendly glycol mix instead of the calcium mix, the tires will last longer and won't dry rot as they will with the calcium mix. If it had the calcium mix in it, put blocks under the tractor and fill/drain the tires a time or two to try to wash that crud out a little. The adapters that allow you to attach the water and mix hoses are not that expensive and most big farm supply stores will have them. If you let it sit for long periods treat the battery the same as you would on your bike if you left it sit. Now since you only have 2 acres and you really want to use that toy, paint it red, white and blue and use it for parades and hay rides! :happy65:

There's diesel fuel additives that lubricate your injector.

Injectors are very expensive to rebuild and even more to buy....

The gov regulated low sulfur etc... hence the problem...

I buy 55 gal of fuel at a time and use a $24 Tractor Supply Company hand pump. Just put the additive in before you fill and it will mix.

Also: buy a 55 gal drum chain and if your tractor has a loader you can lift drum about 1 inch above bed of truck(entering from side) and drive the truck out from under the barrel. Been doing this for years...

Good Luck!

PS.

Buy a block heater and knock one of the freeze plugs out... diesels are notorious for not wanting to start in cold weather.

Guest tx2sturgis

I would use some diesel fuel stabilizer/lubricant in 'road diesel' fuel, if the unit is stored most of the time. Highway legal ULSD is not the best thing to store for long periods.

So, if its convenient, buy your off-road diesel fuel through a Co-Op or farm fuel depot. You dont have to pay federal hiway tax on the fuel that way. The fuel will be dyed red and wont be legal in anything that is licensed for road use, but its fine in a tractor. It might also have a bit higher sulphur, which is a good thing for a diesel engine. You can buy a 10 or 20 gallon portable tank to make this a bit easier. They wont burn much diesel in casual use.

Of course, whatever the manual says to run should be fine.

:happy34:

It depends on whether it is a 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Kubota. The 1st Gen tractors have a stronger glow plug and stronger hydraulics. The 2nd Gen Kubotas have a smaller glow plug that might get warm, if the timing is right, less hydraulic power. They are slower in the grading area, smaller buckets and the front bucket lift is about half of a 1st Gen Kubota.

Brian, I hope you are enlightened.... :sun:

Guest tx2sturgis

Brian, I hope you are enlightened.... :sun:

Yep, good info there.

Just for more info:

ULSD (on-road diesel) can gel, get moldy, and/or corrode metal. It all depends on conditions of refining, storage, and dispensing before you even get it into a home storage tank, and also, how it is stored at the end user's location.

Storage at cool, but not freezing, temps is best. Add some diesel fuel stabilizer. For home use, sealed plastic fuel containers are probably best, unless you want to invest in large aluminum storage tanks...not very practical for a person who will use maybe 10 or 20 gallons in a season.

@ KIC... Really dude! I have never seen anyone so stuck on 1st Gen this or 2nd Gen that...Dang he said it was 20 years old..he has what he has, I'm sure you made him feel real good about what he has, bigger bucket on the 1st gen...I think he should trade it in...NOT!...lol

:doh:

@ KIC... ..Dang he said it was 20 years old..he has what he has, I'm sure you made him feel real good about what he has, bigger bucket on the 1st gen...I think he should trade it in...NOT!...lol

:doh:

You know what they say ..... Bigger buckets dig deeper :sun: