IGNORED

What's the BEST way to store a carburetor LONGTERM?

foyerboy

Ok, so I found a guy who was parting out a RSV and bought the carbs off of him thinking it would be a good idea to have an extra set. The bike was running just fine when he pulled them off a couple of weeks ago. So my question, as the title asks, is what is the best way to store these? I'd hate to have spent $150 on a set of good carbs that go bad over time because they were not stored properly. I am hoping to have them BOLT-ON ready when I need them....

:confused24:

Drain and clean the internals of the carbs as if you were fixing a problem. Make certain the slides and slide bores are clean and dry. Lightly oil any and all o-rings. Assemble the carbs as if they were to be installed. Place a couple packets of desiccant in a big ziplock bag along with the carbs and place on a flat shelf with carbs correct side up, as this permits gravity to keep the inlet valve open and the tip seal not in contact.

Years from now when you need them, first check the slides for free movement with light finger pressure, and if good then install the set and fill the carbs and fire it up.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA