IGNORED

Rear brake rotor loose

I was checking rear tire pressure on my 89 VR and noticed the rear brake rotor is loose. Just the outer rotor band itself. The rivets are also quite loose, also. It actually rattles, it is so loose. What causes this and what should I be looking for, when I take the rear wheel off, to correct the problem.

Also will need a new rotor to replace it. Anyone got one they want to sell?

Thanks

Jim

It is a floating rotor but shouldn't be real loose, or rattle. I had a problem with mine, the spacer on the rear axel was on the wrong side of the caliper bracket and the rivets started to break because of this. I would look into that as a possibility. Some people have fixed the rivets by putting something solid behind them and pounding on them.

Wayne: Thanks for the reply. The front rotors on my 89VR are tight and do not float. The rear rotor was also tight when I put a new tire on in July. I think that I have an alignment problem between the caliper and rotor but won't know until the weekend, when I can get it on the lift and remove the wheel.

Abdul: I may take you up on your offer. I am finishing your trailer today and will then have the lift free to work on the bike. (see pic).

Aaron: I checked the spacer (or washer) and it is in the right place on the axle. This usually is the most common problem with the alignment. I will tear it down this weekend and try to figure out what the problem is. Something is out of alignment, I would guess. I don't want to try to tighten the rivets because of safety reasons, I would rather just replace the rotor.

Jim

Edited by Jayceesfolly