IGNORED

Dash Instrument upgrade?

Has anyone ever done an upgrade to the dash instrumentation on one of these old tugboats?

I am thinking I'd like to update mine a bit with something like the TrailTech VAPOUR

I'm thinking of ditching the OEM speedo and tach but keeping the CMU for old times sake.

How to lay things out has me a bit puzzled though.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Brian H.

looks like it would be hard to keep cmu. plus would look better with something more modern. the cmu is old tech. could make a display to fit under new dash. free up area for mp3 or cup holder ,etc quite a bit of thinking of ways to build it. quite a few people on here know the wiring well. good luck and post pic as you build

I have a trail tech, only Tach...It's junk. Won't show the RPMs properly . Shows then disappears and slow to respond ....Just not worth "my money". Basically works only on my Lawnmower. But cannot handle the juice put out by my bikes ignition. At least that's how it seems. There are better brands out there.

I think a year or so ago someone was pondering about using a touch screen or a tablet for the display, think that fizzled out. I was trying to think of some sort of replacement/upgrade for the gauges, maybe look at some of the other newer cycles out there and grab one from them.

As for the CMU, other than the gas gauge, some of those indicators could probably be replaced by LEDs, and the other half abandoned because they're not needed (because if you're upgrading the dash, you probably will upgrade the headlight to HID and put LEDs on all the other lights so those indicators on the CMU will be bypassed anyways).

If you do change your dash, please keep us informed, esp with PICS!!

-Andrew

edit: Here's an example, note the misc info displayed on the tach.

http://medallionmotorcyclegauges.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Tradition.jpg

Edited by icebrrg3rd
added pic

Nice though those gauges look, I am thinking a no moving parts solution would be best.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Probably costs more than my bike is worth but it'd be a heck of a dashboard.

Edited by parka
........ and another thing .........